Swim grid ladder mounting

trooper1954

Seaman
Hi all,
Last year I posted about changing out my swim grid ladder....the current one is too short for an oldie like me, and I'm finally getting around to it.
The problem I have is the Hoffen 4 step telescoping ladder, and the reviews I've read suggest that using the screws that came with it to install is not a good idea. I have absolutely no space to install nuts and thru bolts....I had to grind the bolt heads off the old ladder in order for it to be removed, so re-installing with bolts and nuts is not an option to to space restriction and location.
What if I moved up to larger lag bolts, and used a marine silicon like Marine Tex around the lag bolt....would that make them more secure?
Any suggestions as to alternatives would be appreciated.
Thanks

trooper1954

Seaman
Hmmm.....64 people read my question but no one has any advice or comments?
Since posting I thought perhaps stainless steel toggle bolts might be the answer?
I'd really appreciate any feedback here as I'd like to get this done.
Thanks

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Maybe you need to provide some pictures. What is a swim grid?

trooper1954

Seaman
Sorry guys for the misleading terminology...have included a photo of the area of the boat I called the "swim Grid". I've completed the replacement of the ladder, and now have one additional question. The mounting brackets for the new ladder would not line up with the old holes, so I've filled them with JB Weld Marine and sanded them down. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should use to seal the JB Weld so that it deosn't end up getting discolored? Should I use a dab of gel coat?
Any help appreciated, and again, sorry for the terminology.
Thank you.

Attachments

• The stepped area where the ladder is at the rear of the boat  I call the swim grid..jpg
    The stepped area where the ladder is at the rear of the boat I call the swim grid..jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Repaired hole.jpg
    Repaired hole.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 12

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The non-skid surface of your swim platform doesnt look too aggressive. Most new boats have seadek there. Install 2 SS step pads on the top. One will cover the damage and both will be quite useful.

trooper1954

Seaman
Thanks JimS123....would you by chance have a link for these? I'm guessing you are referring to stainless steel pieces that fit on the top of RV steps....that type of thing? Any help appreciated.

trooper1954

Seaman
The problem I have is that the holes from the old ladder mount are immediately beside the new mount, and the space I have crossways is less than the length of such an ss step. The only think I could do is mount them up and down either side of the current mounts...not sure how this would look?
Thanks

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My thoughts were to provide a simple way to cover up an unsightly spot. Obviously, many ways to skin a cat.

Personally, I wouldn't put an RV part on my boat, but that's just me. If it ain't stainless, triple chrome plated bronze or teak I don't want it.

The other thought I had was that your swim platform looks like it would be slippery when wet.

Your example in post #8 is a good option. Look at IBoats "shop" and they have several styles. Perko is a renowned old supplier of boat hardware. If you google "marine step pads" you'll come up with dozens. SeaDek even sells faux teak models.

My thought was to mount 2 or more crosswise - one to cover the holes and the rest to provide a stable place to step. When you swing up the ladder it may not rest flat on the deck, but I don't see that as a problem.

trooper1954

Seaman
JimS123....I really appreciate your idea...it would be ideal but the space between the two madder mounts is exactly 8", and the step in post #8 is 8 3/8"....also the space on the outside of the ladder mounts is 6", so I'm not able to fit a few of these horizontally. I've added a photo describing the situation. I'd like to be able to do it the way you suggest, but it seems it will not work.
Thanks

Attachments

• The stepped area where the ladder is at the rear of the boat  I call the swim grid..jpg
    The stepped area where the ladder is at the rear of the boat I call the swim grid..jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 5

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You never said where the holes were. Now, I assume they are between the new brackets.

Do the google search that I suggested. They come in all different shapes and sizes.

I customized my last boat with teak trim all over the place. I made all of the pieces myself. As a matter of fact I installed step pads on the swim platform as well as the bow. They were all custom made to fit the spot.

Its all just an idea. If you want cheap and easy, get bathtub non-slip rubber "asterisks" from BB&B. Several boats ago I stripped the boat of all the custom accessories and covered the screw holes with these "stars". The dealer thought they looked nice and I got a bigger trade-in value than I expected!

trooper1954

Seaman
Thanks Jim....yes....another blunder....didn't mention that the old holes were right beside the new mounts,.....but on the outside!!!
I'll keep researching....but in the meantime should I seal the JB Weld with something? Boat going in the water in a few days.
Thanks.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I dunno. I only use Jb in nonconspicuous places.
Call up jb and ask them.

trooper1954

Seaman
Just for everyone's info...I contacted JB Weld about sealing the JB Marine Weld with something and they advised it's not necessary....said any clear coat over top would enhance UV rays.
Thanks for all the help.