Swapping trailer axle?

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, well my current trailer for my 18' boat is toast. It is a steel trailer from 1978 and was well on it's way to being rotten when I got it years ago. After a few years of dipping it in saltwater, It's finally to the point that the CM's have cracked right down the middle and the only thing holding it all together are the roller plates. Of course I haven't been able to trailer the boat for quite a while and will need to lift the boat off the trailer in order to replace it - I don't think it would make it 20 feet down the road let alone make it to the lake to swap trailers.

I'm looking for a used trailer and a lot of the ones I'm finding are the correct length & width, however; the axle is too small and they usually have 12" tires/rims on there. So, my axle on my current trailer has no issues, 3360 GAWR, Galvanized, just put new bearings in a year or 2 ago, etc.

My question is this: Is it safe to purchase a trailer with said smaller axle, remove the springs and axle, and replace it with my current axle and new springs? I wouldn't get anything that doesn't have the same size/thickness rails as my current trailer has, or had prior to all the rust... I know, it would be nice to get one of those really expensive aluminum trailers but I just spent a lot on new floors, and the boat isn't even worth a lot to justify getting an expensive trailer.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

beemnmatt

Cadet
Re: Swapping trailer axle?

Shouldnt be a problem as long as you don't exceed the weight specified for the trailer...even thought that specification probably has to do with axle and wheel size. Do you think switching the springs will be easy? I just switched trailers for my 18ft boat, old one still in good shape...are you in or around Florida?! Havent even had the chance to put it up for sale,,....

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't foresee why removing the old springs and installing new ones of the correct weight capacity should be tough; they're slipper type so the only trouble is removing the 1 bolt on each side as long as the adjustable cradle is the appropriate length from eye to the end of the spring. I do live in Florida, I'm around the Tampa Bay area. What made you switch trailers? Thanks

Shouldnt be a problem as long as you don't exceed the weight specified for the trailer...even thought that specification probably has to do with axle and wheel size. Do you think switching the springs will be easy? I just switched trailers for my 18ft boat, old one still in good shape...are you in or around Florida?! Havent even had the chance to put it up for sale,,....

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

It's doubtful that the eyes your leaf springs bolt into will be the same on a lighter trailer. I would also be surprised if the springs are the same distance apart on the axle. And is the axle the same total length?

You really need to purchase a trailer that's already setup for your current boat. If the boat's more than a flat bottom john boat or single jet ski/PWC, I'd want larger tires than 12".

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

No way 12" tires will work, I've got a 2800lb v hull from '78 when they used all heavy materials to build it. I don't know, I guess I'm just getting my hopes up. I went to look at a trailer for $100 that was 17' long, same size/thickness frame rails as well as the same length axle only it had the 12" tires and tiny springs. I figured if the spring eye & distance is no good it's only a matter of getting a different plate the springs mount to. It's a long shot, I know; and you're right about getting a trailer that's set up but as I said, the cost of something like that compared to the value of my heap just to go fishing on a warm Friday night just doesn't work out.

It's doubtful that the eyes your leaf springs bolt into will be the same on a lighter trailer. I would also be surprised if the springs are the same distance apart on the axle. And is the axle the same total length?

You really need to purchase a trailer that's already setup for your current boat. If the boat's more than a flat bottom john boat or single jet ski/PWC, I'd want larger tires than 12".

beemnmatt

Cadet

I don't foresee why removing the old springs and installing new ones of the correct weight capacity should be tough; they're slipper type so the only trouble is removing the 1 bolt on each side as long as the adjustable cradle is the appropriate length from eye to the end of the spring. I do live in Florida, I'm around the Tampa Bay area. What made you switch trailers? Thanks

I had a galvanized trailer that has a few rust spots, changed to an aluminum, I have pictures of old trailer if your interested, I am over in melbourne..... thats probably like 4 hours though.. that trailer was the original from my boat which has a dry weight of 2100lbs

dn010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ah yes, aluminum would be great to have, I'm jealous :joyous:. Anyway Melbourne is quite far the only way that would work is if I stopped on my way back from New York at the end of May which is way too long of a time away. I'll keep searching locally and maybe even go to a yard and see if they have anything used. Thanks for the posts!