swapping Gimbal Housing

jearl

Seaman Apprentice
updating MR drive to Alpha1 outer housing. exhaust a little different but tech says we dont need all 5 bolts and will plug a couple of the holes in the transome not utilized on the "new" mount around the exhaust. This is a guy I have dealt with for a number of years but figure can' hurt to confirm this sounds acceptable. please chime in with any advise or concerns. thx

jearl

Seaman Apprentice
Re: swapping Gimbal Housing

nah, just making sure this sounds like the norm or at least working with the stuff I've gathered up. I thought a direct swap and was just a little surprised by the exhaust diferences. I think he told me my assbly has 5 bolts and no problem in plugging a couple with marine -tex or ??? I dont have a reason to doubt this guy and if he wanted he could turn around and sell he a "new: housing for 1300 bucks just looking to get a second opinion from you guys who know as Don Sr. doesn't want me to drag over to Ocean Shores!

Bondo

Staff member

nah, just making sure this sounds like the norm or at least working with the stuff I've gathered up. I thought a direct swap and was just a little surprised by the exhaust diferences. I think he told me my assbly has 5 bolts and no problem in plugging a couple with marine -tex or ??? I dont have a reason to doubt this guy and if he wanted he could turn around and sell he a "new: housing for 1300 bucks just looking to get a second opinion from you guys who know as Don Sr. doesn't want me to drag over to Ocean Shores!

Ayuh,... I donno about the $1300. housing, but I'd buy the proper down pipe/ y-pipe that Fits the housing you're gonna use...

A Leak there will sink the boat, 'n ya gotta pull the motor again to put the Right 1 in later...

jearl

Seaman Apprentice

seems like maybe the width of the rear motor mount an issue (mine 13" wide) and interferes with other Y pipe? not sure. one thing for sure, will look closely once engine is out and make sure this making sense. I don't want to spend more than I need but definitely don't want half ***** or unsafe set up.

Bondo

Staff member

seems like maybe the width of the rear motor mount an issue (mine 13" wide) and interferes with other Y pipe? not sure. one thing for sure, will look closely once engine is out and make sure this making sense. I don't want to spend more than I need but definitely don't want half ***** or unsafe set up.

Ayuh,... That's the Problem with updating some of the driveline,...
You have to go far enough to get to the commonality of 'em...

The later Alphas use 9" rear motor mount spacing...

I'd get the Newer flywheel cover, 'n Y-pipe to complete the swap, myself...

jearl

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Bondo I will certainly share your thoughts with my tech. was kinda hoping to hear from some of your buddies out here in Washington too! I have had the parts I bought for this for a couple of years and wanted to swap out because of sloppy steering due to play in the splines. I finally gave up on getting done myself and pulled in the shop. probably a good thing as wouldn't have had a clue about differences but have to say still surprised as seems like including on this forum all said this should be a straight swap. I'm sure I did not provide info that would have identified the issue and as always appreciate the help and information the members and moderators here provide. thx, Jim

jearl

Seaman Apprentice

looked in the store above and don't see bell housing and exhaust listed. whats the best place to purchase?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When you try to change from one model to another and try to use parts from both, you will almost always run into problems. I don't even get into trying to use parts that aren't meant to be used together.
In the past I have tried, the hours required for trial and error fit of unknown parts just costs a lot of money and is usually a make due type repair (like filling holes and using less bolts), and that is not how one does business for customers.

jearl

Seaman Apprentice

just to be clear. The tech only comming up with this plan due to me bringing in a used gimbal assbly I had previously purchased. Don, Bondo has suggested that he not comfortable with the plugging etc to "make" things fit. your earlier reply almost sounds like you might have handled this way in the past. do you agree with Bondo regarding replacing the bell housing and y pipe assbly? Bottom line ant to make sure whatever we do is safe. This is an old Glasply but in remarkable condition whatever we do I would like it to be a good long term repair. thanks again!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... To do what your wanting to do,..

You Should be swappin' the Gimbel/ transom assembley, WITH it's inner transom plate, 'n the flywheel cover, so's the motor mounts line up...
The coupler, May, or may Not work out in this swap...

I still donno the motor, or it's vintage...

jearl

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry Bondo. 1978 vintage 350 chevy. 13" wide rear motor mounts like I mentioned. dont have S/.N info handy to me but original pre alpha (MR) drive. 700 hrs on the unit.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... The coupler should work, but ya need the inner plate, 'n flywheel cover...

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

looked in the store above and don't see bell housing and exhaust listed. whats the best place to purchase?

You should be able to find everything you need on e-bay. Just do a search for hat you need. Good luck.