Swapping Alpha Gen 1 for Gen 2 on a 3.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schmitzzac

Recruit
Hello Everyone.

I'm wondering if I'm able to swap a gen 2 alpha onto my 3.0L in place of the original alpha 1. I bought a donor boat and it has the identical engine as mine (3.0 Mercruiser). I've got all the outdrive parts, engine, etc.. but wondering if I can just swap the parts required for the Gen 2 alpha. I don't think I need to change anything from one engine to the other but I don't have my boat at my house yet and am looking to sell the donor boat engine if I don't need to take anything off of it to make the gen 2 outdrive work on my current boat. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... At a minimum, the bellhousin' assembly would have to be swapped to mount the Gen.II drive,.....

The shiftin' linkages in both the bellhousin', 'n the outdrive are the Major differences 'tween the A 1, 'n the Gen.IIs,....

Schmitzzac

Recruit
the bell housing on the back of the motor or the bell housing portion that is part of the whole outdrive assembly that is mounted on the back of the boat?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... In a boat, the motor has a flywheel cover with the rear motor mounts on it, 'n the bellhoisin' is part of the transom assembly,......

Schmitzzac

Recruit
Ok. So, I have to transfer that motor bellhousing to my current motor even though the current motor and donor boat motor are identical? It looks as though my gen I and the Gen II I have now have the same gear ratio in them (1.94). Shaft length is the same between the gen I and new gen II. Do I need to swap the flywheel too?

Bondo

Staff member
I have to transfer that motor bellhousing

Nope,..... Reread my reply,......

Boat motors Don't have a "Bellhousin' ",..........

The short answer to yer original question is,...... No,....
A Gen.II outdrive will Not bolt onto an Alpha 1 transom assembly,.....

The only way it can be done, is swappin' the drive's bellhousin' from the Alpha 1, to the Gen.II bellhousin',.....
The shiftin' linkages are very different,....
Once done, that transom assembly will be a Gen.II transom assembly, that will only accept a Gen.II outdrive,....
The ole Alpha 1 drive, won't work on it anymore,.....

alldodge

Staff member
Bondo your the expert but won't the ring also need to be replaced? Seeing a 1/4 difference in the base width

Gimbal rings - Merc.jpg

Schmitzzac

Recruit
ok guys, I apologize for the ignorance. I've never tried to swap a gen II in place of a gen I, so I appreciate the help. I'll add some pics, hopefully this clears up my confusion. I've posted a link below called "gen II transom assembly". I've got a picture in there of the back of the donor motor. Do I need to take off that housing or anything off the back of the motor? the other pics are of the parts I took off donor boat that are gen II pieces. I'll use all these on my boat to make the gen II outdrive work but don't know if I need to take anything from donor motor and swap onto my identical motor that was running a gen I outdrive. I'm guessing both motors are identical and I only need the transom items shown in the pics?

alldodge

Staff member
Do I need to take off that housing or anything off the back of the motor?

No

Bondo says you only need to replace the bell housing. My comment just dealt with the spacing of the Gen 1 to Gen 2

I think it would be best to change the entire transom assembly. Changing the bell housing only, you will either need to block off the lube bottle fitting, or install the lube bottle tube fitting in the old transom assembly then install the lube bottle on the motor.

alpha.jpg

Schmitzzac

Recruit
ok. Thanks for the info. I pan on putting all the transom parts on my boat so the gen II outdrive works properly. No mixing of gen I and gen II stuff.

Bondo

Staff member
I think it would be best to change the entire transom assembly. Changing the bell housing only, you will either need to block off the lube bottle fitting, or install the lube bottle tube fitting in the old transom assembly then install the lube bottle on the motor.

Ayuh,..... I ain't no expert AD, just messed with this junk for awhile,.....I completely agree with this quote,.....

I've never tried to do this swap, 'n as with most swaps, ya start somewhere ya know will mate up, 'n work backwards from there,.....
As you point out, the ring would have to go with the bellhousin',.....
Donno how that'll work out for other snafus yet to be found,.....

There's no way to change the transom assembly without pullin' the motor,....
'n zac don't seem to wanta touch his motor,.....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi there....just a thought...but is it Defo a gen 1 alpha ? There is a similar looking drive that came just before the alpha and up to the late 80’s.

Bondo

Staff member
Hi there....just a thought...but is it Defo a gen 1 alpha ? There is a similar looking drive that came just before the alpha and up to the late 80’s.

Ayuh,.... It don't matter,.... All of the Alpha series are direct interchange, up to the Gen.IIs which came out in 1991,....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ah. Wasn’t sure if the pre Alpha Drive was too Bondo. Fair play.

Status
Not open for further replies.