Swapped Thunderbolt IV for Delco EST

craig newton

Seaman Apprentice
I replaced my thunderbolt IV ignition system with a Delco EST due to a lack of spark. With the tach and the shift interrupter switch disconnected for the first start up attempt it showed the no spark problem was fixed as there were bursts of flames shooting out of my Rochester 4 barrel carb about 4-5 inches. No backfiring. It acts like it would start if I kept cranking it. Would being off setting TDC cause this? I used the finger in the spark plug hole setting it and I may have been off some. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
if you haven't swapped any leads around then yes , you have not aligned TDC , compression stroke on #1 cylinder .
if you have room you may be able to crank the dizzy around enough to get it to run.it sounds as if you may have ignition retarded , but try both ways about 1/2 an inch either direction.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Your dizzy is 180 degrees out. You installed on "pft" not on "PPPFFFFTTT" with your finger over the hole

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Yeah probably set it on tdc on exhaust nit compression stroke.
verify firing order then check where it is on tdc on compression stroke. Both valves closed in number one…

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep that job is easier to do if you have the valve cover on the port side off so you can watch the valves...Both valves closed and the rotor in the distributor pointing to #1 terminal....