Swap out OMC 2.3 with a older Ford 2.3

bryceheinz

Cadet
New to the boating world. Just picked up an 87 renken 19ft boat for $500 with the trailer. Has a bad crank and rusted cylinder walls. I have a complete 2.3l motor from an older ford that is almost brand new. What has to be changed to put this motor in the boat? I would assume the marine 2.3 runs backwards?. If so do I need to swap the cam, I know I need to use the starter and the oil pump for sure. Any help is appreciated.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Swap out OMC 2.3 with a older Ford 2.3

they all turn the same way. Cam is probably different. Basically, the more you can swap off the marine motor the better.
doubt the oil pump is any different unless the pickup is oriented differently for a different sump shape in the pan

jpwilly

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Swap out OMC 2.3 with a older Ford 2.3

Pretty sure you need to swap all marine parts other wise the engines internals are basically the same. The head gasket may need changed too should be marine grade same for gaskets elsewhere i.e. can handle salt water etc. You will need to swap your water pump, starter, intake manifold, carb, fuel pump, exhaust manifold etc. not sure if you have to swap the Cam but the marine cam is most likely different profile than a passenger car cam.