Suzuki laid to rest today

broadwayc

Cadet
I just want to thank everyone for all there helpful advice in the last few weeks that I have posted on this forum. I have(had) a 1989 Suzuki DT65 that I bought a few weeks ago. I had a problem with the engine last weekend so I took it in to get the carburetors removed, inspected and cleaned. The shop owner called me today to let me know that the carbs were very clean and that wasn't the problem. The metal around the cylinders had corroded so badly that the seal that keeps the flame inside them (and the water out) was shot. I had 60lbs of compression in the number 2 cylinder also when it's supposed to be around 100. There was also rust inside the cylinders and without needing proof the bearings were probably rusted too. All the zinc in the motor was corroded away. Bad day indeed. Now I have an anchor.

So I have learned a few valuable things from my first ever boat and motor purchase and I would just like to share with those that may be interested and if you have anything else...please share.

1. If it looks bad on the outside (ie corrosion of zinc anodes, bubbling of paint, dinged skeg) you might want to move on. The corrosion and such is a good sign the the motor was used heavily in salt water and not cleaned properly.
2. Check the compression. A ten percent variance between cylinders is very bad. If I would have known this when I was looking at the boat, I would have looked for something else.
3. Don't just listen to it start or run on muffs and assume its ok. Muffs force water through even if the water pump/impeller is broken. Have it run in a tub with the prop removed and in gear or take it for a spin if the owner will let you.
4. Always take an engine you are looking at to a boat mechanic to give it a good once over(if you are a novice like myself). If it's crap, then that's what it is. If minor repairs need to be made see if the owner will split the bill...if not well, tell him good luck. If he won't let it leave the yard then don't leave him the money.

It's amazing what and how much you can learn when you don't want to.

So, should I keep the motor and use it for parts? It would cost me $65 bucks if I took it home for the labor. Should I leave it with the mechanic and pay nothing?

Rebuilding is not an option as it would around 1800 smackers. However the mechanic is working on an Evinrude 35 that he said would cost around 1200.

What do I do?

Thanks again everyone and maybe I'll find another Suzuki so I can stick around and badger you all with questions again!!

Jake

James R

Commander
Re: Suzuki laid to rest today

So sorry it turned out that way. I avoid salt use motors except for the odd part or two. I expect that motor wiil be difficult to tear down for parts and they will have limited value. Save any continued heart ache and turn your back on it. Now you can look for a good used fresh water motor. If you are within range of Charlotte NC call me 704-219-2578. Motors are my hobbie.