Suzuki DT3.5

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have recieved a 82 ish Suzuki DT 3.5 outboard. It is extremely clean like it looks like its a showroom engine from the inside. The outside obiviously sat out in the sun and faded the decals.

My problem right now is spark. I have never really had to tinker with a magneto and points (which I believe this has). I had looked through the flywheel and have seen the magneto and the points and the "pointer" doesn't move and sticks really bad. I can't seem to pull the flywheel with the stick the screwdriver on something solid and pop up the flywheel and turn and repeat. Well it hasn't bugded at all. Whould I find a steering wheel puller and use the 3 bolts on the flywheel for the manual rope.

The compression is very nice on this thing and the carb looks great. One thing i can't get to work fully is the fuel pump. I have apadted my cordless drill to turn the motor over instead of pulling all day long. I don't smell gas like I think I should but I need to get spark before the fuel.

Anyone with exprerience with these little guys? This will be my kicker on my 15'6" Tri Hull with a Merc. 155 Hp.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Suzuki DT3.5

You need a harmonic balancer puller using grade 8 bolts. Do not try to pop it off using a screw driver.

MAS

steve66

Seaman

Hi 75 ton,Another way to remove flywheels that i always use is,remove the flywheel retaining nut,i grip the flywheel with a chain oil filter removal tool.If this doesnt work use an impact wrench.When the nut is removed also remove the locking washer from underneath.Then replace the nut until the upperside of the nut is flush with the top of the crank.Then hit the nut sharply and squarely with a decent hammer and the shock will loosen the flywheel enough to lift it off after removing the nut.You may find the problem is dirty points.Remove them and clean, i usually rub both sides of the points on a sharpening block.Clean any residue off them,replace and reset and try again.If you then have a spark make sure the crank nut is tightened back up properly,if not when it fires you will shear the crank/flywheel key.A common problem on these motors if they have stood for a long while is blocked air jets.Everyone of these motors i have owned has had exzctly the same problem.If you look on my other post the solution explained.I have found brownspoint superb for spares.
Hope this helps Steve

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Steve. I have never played with points before and I can see that mine is really stuck. I can reach through the flywheel and open it and the spin the flywheel by hand and its in the same spot. I will give a try to the wack-a-mole method I have been told my some family and friends that it works. You know of a site that explains Suzuki points system?

steve66

Seaman

Hi 75,There are really nothing to the points.They are in two pieces.One part screws down to the stator plate and moves so you can adjust the gap,and the other part is an arm type of mechanism that opens and closes due to a cam profile machined on to the flywheel.It normally fits on to the lower part of the points by a pin and circlip.Once the flywheel is removed it all becomes apparent.If the points are seized it is most likely due to this pin.Normal light maintenance oil ie wd40 sprayed on to the points and some gentle manipulation will free them,but remember to make sure the contacts on the points are meticuolously clean and free from oil and grease before reassembly or you will not get a spark.If you have no feeler guages to set the gap as a rule of thumb the thickness of the card on a cigarette box is approximately right and will be enough to get your motor running.
Good luck and hope it helps.
Steve