Suzuki DT15 Stalling immediatly and Decarb Question

Cascadian

Cadet
I am posting because I have some questions, but also because I see people with this stalling question when I search and often the fuel pickup is not mentioned as something to check. I took my Suzuki and Zodiac MKII out for the first time Saturday and it ran great for an hour then cut out suddenly. It would start then die immediately, eventually I figured out that if I squeezed the primer bulb every 1-2 seconds it would stay running. Did some research and thought it might be the fuel filter or fuel pump. Then I took apart the tank just to check it... the fuel pickup was almost completely disintegrated with a piece floating on the bottom and a crack at the fitting at the top of the tank. I don't have a lot of experience with motors but assume that I have found the culprit. I have not rerun the motor and probably can't until next weekend when I am planning on using it on a lake. I am wanting to confirm that what I experienced is consistent with the fuel pickup issue.

Once I got the motor running again I could squeeze the bulb 5-10 times and the motor would run great even at full throttle for maybe 45 seconds. It revved fine and seemed that I could idle it down fine but I didn't test that too much because I didn't want it to die. Would my experience be completely consistent with a bad fuel pickup?

I also have a question about B1-15 fuel tubing as it was all West Marine had that could possibly be used for a fuel pickup. I know the A1 is the same but has a fire retardant coating. Will the outer cover of the B1-15 (above deck use only, I believe due to fire resistance) tubing disintegrate in my tank quickly or at all? I am hoping it can at least get me through the weekend. Any idea where I can order a small length of the proper fuel pickup hose?

Question on decarbing:
This motor is a mid 90's motor and I am sure has never been decarbed (it seems mildly sluggish and looks dirty in the cylinders). I have read that a motor that is older and has significant buildup can be damaged by the carbon chunks that get knocked loose before they are blown out. Would there be any benefit or danger to doing a lite decarb? Maybe spraying an ounce through the carb and a few shots in each cylinder then run it this weekend with a light mix in the fuel? then at a later date do a more shock treatment... or would this just increase the risk that I knock loose some carbon that may damage the engine when it is running this weekend. So basically should I worry at all about doing a full decarb on this old motor?

Sorry for all the questions but wanted to get it all into one post. Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Cascadian

Cascadian

Cadet
Re: Suzuki DT15 Stalling immediatly and Decarb Question

Just in case anyone is interested here are a couple shots of the disintegrated pickup line.

Fuel Pickup.jpgPickup Fitting.jpg