Suzuki DF90 - Steering Shaft frozen

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice
Due to covid my boat sat for 18months on a trailer. When I finally did try to launch it, everything was fine but the steering shaft had frozen. After alot of work we finally got it to move back and forth but it was really stiff. I have installed a new steering cable but that didn't help, it's still stiff. If I work on it, moving it back and forth it will loosen a bit but, then after sitting for 2 days it stiffens up again. Any suggestions on what might be the cause ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with the steering disconnected from the boat, does the motor turn easy if you grab the motor, yes or no?

if it is the main pivot, you most likely have corrosion. that would involve pulling the motor off the boat and pulling the mid-section apart.

this is not a spray some WD-40 and it will work kind of fix.

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice
No, engine does not move easily when the steering is disconnected.

tarpon

Seaman Apprentice
with the steering disconnected from the boat, does the motor turn easy if you grab the motor, yes or no?

if it is the main pivot, you most likely have corrosion. that would involve pulling the motor off the boat and pulling the mid-section apart.

this is not a spray some WD-40 and it will work kind of fix.
Is it possible to over grease it?

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer
The pivot shaft bushings need to be replaced. You must remove powerhead, engine holder, lower unit, midsection in order to remove the pivot shaft. Oh, and by the way, every time you try to steer it, you are prematurely wearing the helm and that nice new cable you installed that did not cure the problem.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Seen that in motors due to prolongued time sitting unused. if you have tried everything that was recommended with partial or no avail whatsoever will need to remove the entire powerhead Off pan, remove whatever it takes to access and remove the steerig shaft assy out the swivel bracket assy.

Stuck Steerinnng Shaft-Swivel Bkt.jpg

Remove the hardened grease lying inside it, scrape Off, sand whatever to remove the rust already formed on the steering shaft, once both are impeccable cleaned take advantage to change both upper and lower steering bushings if with excessive up/down play, pre grease the complete steering system mechanism with marine grease and fill the swivel bracket's internal with a grease gun thru the grease nipples. Partial cleaning or regreasing will only last a few days and the steering system will freeze again fully guaranteed.

Sounds darn easy peasy while reding this post, but it's an extenuating long job if wanting the steering shaft to work super smooth as used to, been there with portable motors due to C-19. Good Luck!!

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Any progress removing the stuck steering shatf from the swivel bracket ?

Happy Boating