Suzuki Compression Question

Joer2

Cadet
All:<br /><br />Just wanted to get some feedback on how to interpret my engine's compression readings. The engine is a 1999 Suzuki 115 hp 2-stroke electronic fuel injected outboard. I think it is the DT - 115. I bought the engine used; this is my first season with it. <br /><br />So far, runs great, but I checked the compression readings that were marked on the engine from last season. They read in order from the top of the powerhead to the bottom: 120 - 123- 124-130. I know that variability in the readings is a bad thing, and I’m concerned with the difference between the highest and the lowest from 130-120. I know that a rule of thumb is that a difference of more than 15 psi indicates that the lower reading cylinder (the 120) may be in bad shape. <br /><br />What's the rule on rebuilds? I have heard that generally, 1000 hours on a powerhead is when you start thinking about a rebuild. Given my compression readings, do you think I'm looking at a rebuild soon? I estimate that this engine has 500 hours on it -- all recreational use. Also, I checked the plugs – one was a bit fouled, but nothing severe. <br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Joe

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Suzuki Compression Question

A difference of 10 psi out of 120 psi is only 8%, well within the expected variation of reading. I think you are OK. When the difference gets to be more than 15% you might start looking at why. Relax, go boating. :cool:

Joer2

Cadet
Re: Suzuki Compression Question

Thanks Jim.<br /><br />As I said, it runs fine, but when I saw the numbers, the 120 and 130 readings got my attention. <br /><br />I plan to do some relaxing and boating this weekend ;-)<br /><br />Joe