"Sutars" plug- 12v?

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I see this plug with a cover in our new to us boat. Sutars, see picture. Is this a charger/ cigarette lighter adapter? Here's a stupid question, but we run just one battery for cranking and fish finder. If I occasionally plugged in an iPhone while boat is running would it drain the battery? Or only if the boat was off?

It's a 25 hp Johnson electric start.

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: "Sutars" plug- 12v?

Can't seem to post a picture but it looks like a cigarette lighter port and says Sutarsnon the cap.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

That charger more than likely draws less power than the fish finder. I myself would not worry about it. Plug and play....!

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

That charger more than likely draws less power than the fish finder. I myself would not worry about it. Plug and play....!

Is that what it probably is then? A charger? Sure looks like one

NYBo

Admiral

He's referring to the charger for your iPhone, not the Sutars accessory socket.

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

He's referring to the charger for your iPhone, not the Sutars accessory socket.

I'm sorry, I meant is that an accessory charger?

UncleWillie

Captain

It is no longer politically Correct to call it a Cigarette Lighter Outlet.
Today it is called a 12v Power Port.

Use it for whatever you wish!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It's like an outlet in your house. Plug in any 12 volt device you wish -- up to whatever the capacity is of the outlet (around 10 amps). So your phone charger, spot light, air pump for water toys, etc., can be plugged into that outlet.

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

So this may be a dumb question, but it won't be my last. I tried the adapter plug in while boat is parked and no key. It did nothing and gave no power.

Boat have to be on?

So this may be a dumb question, but it won't be my last. I tried the adapter plug in while boat is parked and no key. It did nothing and gave no power.

Boat have to be on?

there's really no rules on how they are installed. So if yours only works on the ignition then either live with it or rewire it via a fuse to the battery.

NYBo

Admiral

Boat have to be on?
If so, it's not wired properly. The socket is probably rated for at least 10 amps, and you don't want that kind of extra load on the ignition switch. Wire it directly to the fuse block and negative buss.