Susquahanna River around York, PA

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Susquahanna River around York, PA

I'd be happy to go out with any of you or take you out down there if you'd like. My uncle has a cottage down there that's been in our family for 60 years. I'm hoping to have my boat back in the water by next weekend with it's new transom.

vroom4

Cadet

I'd be happy to go out with any of you or take you out down there if you'd like. My uncle has a cottage down there that's been in our family for 60 years. I'm hoping to have my boat back in the water by next weekend with it's new transom.

Blah, Id like to take you up on this offer except I have a fuel problem I cant figure out now.

Not getting good vent or flow through the tank so it starves out. Hopefully I dont have a rusty tank !!!

If you guys go out on the river near clarke just throw up a post and your # just in case somebody else goes out and needs help or something.

Better than a 800$ tow.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Blah, Id like to take you up on this offer except I have a fuel problem I cant figure out now.

Not getting good vent or flow through the tank so it starves out. Hopefully I dont have a rusty tank !!!

If you guys go out on the river near clarke just throw up a post and your # just in case somebody else goes out and needs help or something.

Better than a 800$ tow.

Like I said before im on clarke atleast one day every weekend. If you want my number for backup purposes IM me and I will make a desion to give it out or not. Just cant post it cause I dont need everybody in the world calling me for help.. Longlevel marina charges around $125.00 + for a tow. If a problem would arise im sure you can get a tow to the dock from anybody for free, I see it all the time. Its always nice to offer a 20 if you dont know them. Most of the people you see broken down on the ramp holding things up. Thats why you should always run on the muffs before going out. I have a unlimited boatus membership so im reimbursed 100%.

Longlevel marinas number is (717-252-1589) put it in your phone just incase. they can bring out gas parts etc.

Denny

vroom4

Cadet

Like I said before im on clarke atleast one day every weekend. If you want my number for backup purposes IM me and I will make a desion to give it out or not. Just cant post it cause I dont need everybody in the world calling me for help.. Longlevel marina charges around $125.00 + for a tow. If a problem would arise im sure you can get a tow to the dock from anybody for free, I see it all the time. Its always nice to offer a 20 if you dont know them. Most of the people you see broken down on the ramp holding things up. Thats why you should always run on the muffs before going out. I have a unlimited boatus membership so im reimbursed 100%.

Longlevel marinas number is (717-252-1589) put it in your phone just incase. they can bring out gas parts etc.

Denny

Thanks for the # man. I didnt really know who I would call, figured Id just have to flag down the next decent sized boat.

Rock Hall

Petty Officer 1st Class

As EZMOBEE said, there are rocks, but if you know where they are, you're ok. The only rocks I know of are up around the islands. I didnt boat inthat area much. I put in up there. There is a very large park/ramp about 1 mile south of the Holtwood Dam. Last time I was down there, the channel was marked out of the boat ramp. Follow the markers, hang a right and head south. after about 1/4 mile it's open water. Lake Clark is probably safer as far as rocks. I never liked it because of the crowds at the ramp, the fishing was louy and it was too small for me. The Ramp I used on Conewingo Pond was called Muddy Creek Fishermans Park. Hardly anyone goes there. You could launch 3 boats at a time and the parking lot is enormous. This is the area where Bas Masters used to have a tourament years ago. Lots of Smallmouth up around the islands. Stripers, Largemouth, Cats and lots of panfish south of the islands.There are also a few marinas for fuel. I think this area shows up on the Charts for the upper bay, so you could take a look there.
Rock Hall

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

went out on clarke today it was very hot and buisy there. 2nd time in the last 3 weekends stopped when leaving lock 2 by the boat commision. they stop everybody they can. they sit in the parking lot and when you load up your boat and pull into the lot to unload your gear they come over for a safety and registration check. Of course I was leagal. It is just a pain in the but to be held up every week for 10 minutes. Other than that have a great time. I guess they sit there for easy pickings since there is always 2 boats on the ramp.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just finished my new transom and had the boat out last evening on Lake Clarke for the first time in a while. Had a great time. The water was glassy and the weather beautiful. The ramp wasn't too busy and my boat ran awesome. We even did a little fishing and I caught 2 catfish and missed a lot more. vroom4 are you still on here? Don't know if you're still looking for someone to boat with down there but if you are I'm back in action!

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Just finished my new transom and had the boat out last evening on Lake Clarke for the first time in a while. Had a great time. The water was glassy and the weather beautiful. The ramp wasn't too busy and my boat ran awesome. We even did a little fishing and I caught 2 catfish and missed a lot more. vroom4 are you still on here? Don't know if you're still looking for someone to boat with down there but if you are I'm back in action!

glad to see your prodject turned out well. You caught fish in the lake??? I better call the york dispatch:D

What area worked for you?? We have been out every weekend except this one. I didnt really get a chance to get my line wet yet. I have all girls in my house and when we go out all they want to do is tube and swim.

The boat I have now is a 20' cuddie and its a pain to lauch myself so i was givin permission from my wife to buy a smaller boat just for fishing;) so im hoping I can find something soon so I can get out in the evenings.
Denny

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We were on the York side just about a half mile or so down river from the lock 2 ramps. We were just using night crawlers on the bottom. They were hitting pretty much every one we threw in! The first one I caught swallowed the hook which I feel bad about. So I switched to a larger hook and didn't have a problem getting it out of the next one.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

dgopetactical, went out again this Wednesday and caught even more fish! I got 5 cats and a blue gill. My buddy caught a cat and hooked a nice bass that didn't quite make it all the way to the boat.

Proof:
2632263109_3b9a097605_b.jpg

It was a beautiful evening for it:
2632258897_107d4cd349_b.jpg

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Im glad to see somebodys catching fish;) Were going out on the tomorrow the 4th.I Plan on doing some fishing if the family will let me:p. I was talking with my dad and we plan on doing another overnighter in a few weeks. I have talked to a few people who said the fishing has picked up. We will see.
Denny

AltheaToldMe

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Goldsboro by three mile island (lake fredrick) is 2 miles from my home it would be nice to go there but I here horor stories about the rocks there. I dont mess around in shallow water...
Denny

Lemme tell ya. It's a crappy place to boat (my opinion). My 2nd day with the rig and I trashed a prop, almost killed another and sustained 2 large contusions on the bottom of the hull. I took a chunk out of the fin on the bottom of the lower unit too :mad: I will never, ever put in there again. I don't care if the freaking river is above flood stage, I am never going again. The up side...I get to buy a new prop and properly set the boat up.

Lake Clarke treated me well on my first day. 7+ hours and a full tank of fuel gone. Cruised on plane for most of the day, tubed and swam....what a beautiful place!

tredragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey! it's great to see people who boat Conowingo here! That's the closest freshwater I can put in at! I live just south of York on the Maryland side, Hampstead, MD 21074. Went out today... alone... hard to put in and get out of Broad Creek launch (shallow) by yourself. Especially when you're a virgin boater with a deep-v hull.

If anyone is planning on going next weekend, or any weekend, or after work even... PM or email me. tredragon@yahoo.com

I'll even be willing to take my boat out if someone doesn't want to take theirs alone. Or vice versa.

Did mostly fishing there today. Brought home two cats about 16" long, and three 8" or so bluegills. A lot of cleaning for a few pounds of fish meat... but my wife and I are trying to get on a healthier diet lately anyways.

People on the lake I talked to today said the game fish are just absent right now. THey filled their well with rock bass from 6am til about noon. Not a single sm/lg mouth, striper... I've had the same luck. Bluegies and cats only. I fish near the shore, in shade, near rocks or logs usually. The cats I catch either with a very long leader on the bobber (live worms)... or off the bottom carolina rigged with live worms or today, trout nuggets! Bluegill on live worms, small curly tail jigs, and mini silver sparkle tubes.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Lemme tell ya. It's a crappy place to boat (my opinion). My 2nd day with the rig and I trashed a prop, almost killed another and sustained 2 large contusions on the bottom of the hull. I took a chunk out of the fin on the bottom of the lower unit too :mad: I will never, ever put in there again. I don't care if the freaking river is above flood stage, I am never going again. The up side...I get to buy a new prop and properly set the boat up.

Lake Clarke treated me well on my first day. 7+ hours and a full tank of fuel gone. Cruised on plane for most of the day, tubed and swam....what a beautiful place!

I was talking to a guy yesterday who took his new boat to goldsboro (lake fredrick) and wacked something and did $1,700.00 + damage to his drive.

The pa boating commision states on its site it is a deep drafft lake but what they dont say is you might have 8' water but there is rocks all over 2 inches under the surface. That place is good for john boats and toons thats it then again I would only take a paddle boat there.

Then you have lake clarke that has mostly un-obstructed water until you get abput 50'from shore. And its close to home.
Denny

tredragon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what about conowingo? you can boat/fish with either PA or MD reg/fishing licenses. you can meet me out there most weekends. I just packed a few pounds of fish yesterday from there (no bass but... fish fry!)

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lake Fredrick is not too bad but you are right about the rocks. I think I might try to go to Raystown or possibly down towards York. It sounds like you guys have a pretty good depth there.