Survey information

KA23

Cadet
After a lot of searching I have found a 2000 Maxum 21' cuddy with a 5.0 Mercruiser engine and outdrive and plastic fuel tank which I would hope would limit the chances of rot and rupture which I experienced with my last boat with a metal fuel tank. It looks very clean with 360 hours on the motor. Bilge looks very clean, interior is original and flawless, rub rails are great, limited scuffs on the body and the hull shines nicely. I am planning on water testing it next week and then making an offer subject to inspection. I am not close to being an expert on stringers and transom rot etc. I do know it "looks" very clean for 15 years. Sellers seem honest and boat is priced fairly. I am in need of a surveyor in the Seattle area to check this out because I am paranoid about all the talk about older boats and transom rot. The compression test and mechanical inspection will be done at a marine shop but I am not sure if these shops give hull inspections as well? Anyone on here from Seattle have any advice or recommendations to check the hull for rot or have I done due diligence for a 10k purchase? Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
After a lot of searching I have found a 2000 Maxum 21' cuddy with a 5.0 Mercruiser engine and outdrive and plastic fuel tank which I would hope would limit the chances of rot and rupture which I experienced with my last boat with a metal fuel tank. It looks very clean with 360 hours on the motor. Bilge looks very clean, interior is original and flawless, rub rails are great, limited scuffs on the body and the hull shines nicely. I am planning on water testing it next week and then making an offer subject to inspection. I am not close to being an expert on stringers and transom rot etc. I do know it "looks" very clean for 15 years. Sellers seem honest and boat is priced fairly. I am in need of a surveyor in the Seattle area to check this out because I am paranoid about all the talk about older boats and transom rot. The compression test and mechanical inspection will be done at a marine shop but I am not sure if these shops give hull inspections as well? Anyone on here from Seattle have any advice or recommendations to check the hull for rot or have I done due diligence for a 10k purchase? Thanks!

It might be scary but having someone do the mechanic checks you could do the transom checks. Grab a flat tip or Phillips screw driver an try to push it into the inside of the transom. You can push all you want but the transom will not move if its solid. Start low down around the drain hole and work up. In most cases if its not soft down low it will not be soft up high

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... 'n throw a wrench on the motor mount lags goin' into the stringers,....

If it's Strips out, they're rotten,....
If they tighten, it's probably alright,....