Surprise My electric car is not charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Storm knocked off all street power in my county area. Bless all those MONEY MAKING Green People.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Around here the electric utilities sell backup generators. So if they screw up, you still have juice, and they make more $$. Gee I wish I could have made more money when I screwed up in business!

On a related rant. I needed to raise my dock for the second time, as it was under water for a month last summer. We also have many more floods here than we used to, when I moved in 30 years ago. The sea level is indeed rising. Green power is a real good idea, as it can slow down sea level rise.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Watching the TV program, CSI Miami, there is an awful lot of real estate that isn't very far above the surface of the water.......boy is that going to be a mess one of these days. May have to do something like NOLA and install sealed bulkheads and pumps.

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
lol....eh, not true.....and certain people are buying beachfront mansions on islands that are supposed to be underwater years ago...
Oh, New jersey's primary flood problems are due to hurricanes and such.
Guess when the most hurricanes have occurred...

Attachments

• IMG_3139.png
    IMG_3139.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0822.png
    IMG_0822.png
    335.4 KB · Views: 15

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I am not sure what those attachments show. What I can say is that the water level in Barnegat Bay, NJ has risen quite a bit in the last 30 years. We now seem to get about 4 or 5 floods a year. 10 years ago it was half of that. 30 years ago, we had hardly any floods.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
lol....eh, not true.....and certain people are buying beachfront mansions on islands that are supposed to be underwater years ago...
Don't fool yourself......been hanging out on Hatteras Island, NC going on 40 years.

Have watched the island march South and West with my own eyes.
Had some of the worst flooding I've ever scene on the island last week from a prolonged Northeast blow.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Unfortunately big gov't is telling people that if you go green it will stop especially if you spend lots of money. In reality, man can't stop it, but he can take that money to protect himself from being a statistic. Whose bright idea was it anyway to think that ocean front property that is at or below sea level would never flood and there would always be cheap insurance that would keep rebuilding your house over and over ??

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
eh, 8 of the biggest 10 floods in the harrisburg area occured before 1976...
Don't fool yourself......been hanging out on Hatteras Island, NC going on 40 years.

Have watched the island march South and West with my own eyes.
Had some of the worst flooding I've ever scene on the island last week from a prolonged Northeast blow.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner​

JoinedMar 25, 2004Messages27,075
Gee, I am not sure what those attachments show. What I can say is that the water level in Barnegat Bay, NJ has risen quite a bit in the last 30 years. We now seem to get about 4 or 5 floods a year. 10 years ago it was half of that. 30 years ago, we had hardly any floods

"gee"...you're not sure?...
eh, flooding...ok
8 of the last 10 biggest floods in harrisburg, pa., occurred before 1976...
Gee, I guess we don't have man made climate change here...

Last edited:

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
N J ocean shore line has...ALWAYS... been loosing beach sand to a normal coastal current. It runs forever from south N J to NYC harbor area.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
So your saying that since 8/10 biggest floods occurred before 1976, we do not have sea level rise? Those two items are not related.

Also, loosing beach sand has nothing to do with sea level rise or fall. The Jettys on the beach help with that.

A lot of people deny science, in this day and age, for some reason.

Reactions: KJM

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In N J we are losing beach frontage to both melting of ice caps, of both poles and ocean currents.
Add in world wide volcanic activity dust.
WE are getting ready to join the dinosaurs. :)

tpenfield

Staff member
A word of caution to the group . . . keep the government (and the political commentary that it leads to) out of this discussion, else the thread may be closed. :unsure:

Yes, the sea level is rising and the shore line is always moving. What is set in motion will remain so until acted upon by another force. :ROFLMAO:

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
So your saying that since 8/10 biggest floods occurred before 1976, we do not have sea level rise? Those two items are not related.

Also, loosing beach sand has nothing to do with sea level rise or fall. The Jettys on the beach help with that.

A lot of people deny science, in this day and age, for some reason.
I'm saying you mentioned floods so I did...ok? Why can you do that to support your man made climate change...."stuff" ....and I can't use the same for my opinion without being labeled , falsely no less, as some type of denier?..huh?......
Why is that?
A lot of people today, in this day and age, for some reason are mindless sheep.....and hypocrites.

mr 88

Commander
Mother Nature is going to do what it wants . Did you know the Great Lakes were formed by glaciers ,when the planet was mostly frozen . Then it warmed up , before people inhabited Earth . Hmmm.

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
I come across this...."stuff" .....on a vintage bike forum. People that despise the ICE .
Why are ya'll even on here. Ya'll want it all to go away?....so why?

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
I remember growing up we were going to go into the next ice age and they were trying to figure out how to heat the planet. Next is we are overheating. Now it's just "change". The planet has always had temperature fluctuations, even before the industrial revolution. Who can prove its just man made or just mother earth on her "cycle"....no one
That's my 2 cents

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I remember growing up we were going to go into the next ice age and they were trying to figure out how to heat the planet.
Technically planet earth is still in an ice age. We are currently experiencing an interglacial period (period of time between glacial periods) and based on research should be entering a glacial period beginning roughly 1500 years from now.

Research has determined that the cool-heat cycle/pattern within the current ice age may be disrupted by human factors such as ozone depletion (somewhat under control now compared to 50 years ago), rapidly adding more greenhouse gases as compared to earlier times, and natural cycles of earths atmosphere.

Yes, human history compared to earth's history is a drop in a bucket but based on historical analysis of temperature patterns, most researchers do concur that climate change isn't something to ignore

Status
Not open for further replies.