Surging Problem - 2004 Johnson 60 HP, four-stroke, fuel injected

GunnerH

Cadet
New member here, looking for recommendations and advice for getting our boat running right. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and sharing any insight you might have. I share a lot of detail below so bear with me:

Background: We have a 2004 Johnson 60 HP, four-stroke, fuel injected pushing our 20-foot Pontoon boat (max 23 MPH, GPS verified). We purchased from a dealer in 2015 with only 90 hours on her (little old lady drove her to church!) The boat now has 197 hours on her and has been a fantastic boat especially as our first ever boat. We had her delivered to our dock, so no trailer. I’m a shade tree mechanic mostly working on cars and service the boat each year on our boat lift by backing her in and raising just enough for me to access the oil, plugs, lower unit, etc. from the dock.

The problem: The boat will start effortlessly every time, idles perfect and runs fine as I throttle up, but begins to surge, very rhythmically (one, two, one two) if I push her past 8 MPH. I do not have a working tachometer; I use the depth finder GPS to track speed so that is how I know it is a consistent problem at that speed. We took her out last weekend and cruised for over 20 minutes; she ran very smooth and consistent so long as I stayed below 8 MPH.

I’ve loaded an 18 second video to YouTube showing what we are experiencing (boat is on the lift, in neutral while running): 0-5 sec in video at idle, all good. 6-10 seconds into video under partial throttle, all good. 11- 18 seconds at half-throttle and she develops a very rhythmical surge that is constant.

The problem first surfaced earlier this year. I borrowed a trailer and pulled her out of the water for the first time since 2015 to change the impellor. She was not giving me any issues; I just knew it was a service that needed to be done especially since I’d not done it in six years. All went well with the install but I didn’t give her a full up test drive when we finished, I just made sure she was pushing water when we launched and cruised back to our dock, five minutes max as we have a boat launch on our property. We were in a bit of a hurry due to deteriorating weather conditions and to return the trailer. I also changed the fuel filter while I had her out for the impellor work.

A couple of weeks later I took her out for the first time and this is when the surging problem first showed up. The motor will surge whether or not I have her in gear, under a load so I think I’ve eliminated a lower unit/prop issue.

However, could we have done something wrong during the impellor work or is this just a coincidental issue?

What we’ve done so far:

First, thinking it must be fuel delivery by the way she was running:

• Bypass the new fuel filter with a hose adapter to isolate the fuel filter. No change.
  • Disconnect the fuel line from tank and run the motor from a fresh can of fuel. No change.
  • Verify the gas tank vents are working – removed, cleaned. No change.
  • Verify the bulb stays firm while the engine is running. All good. No change.
  • Checked fuel line motor connection. No change.
  • Drain fuel (about 16 ounces in a water bottle) from Fuel Vapor Separator – looked good.
  • Spray carb cleaner around all fuel lines while running to see if something changes. No change
  • Replaced the fuel pump (I just knew that $150 part was going to fix it!) No change.
Thinking it must be a spark issue:

• Change spark plugs – old plugs (less than 20 hours on them) showed no unusual signs of wear.
  • This weekend I installed two new coil packs with new wires (one coil feeds two plugs) no change.
Back to thinking we might have done something wrong during the impellor change so I double checked all connections, linkage, etc. yesterday to ensure butterfly fully opens/closes. No change.

Again, I appreciate any insight provided and look forward to getting this trusty old gal back up to full speed. Thanks for your time!

Semper Fi - Bill

CaptnKingfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great post, history, symptoms, and what you've tried. And so far the things you tried were my first guesses as to what the problem was, dirty fuel filter, bad vent line, bad fuel pump, bad fuel, vacumn leak.. you pretty much verified it's none of those things. I would suggest spraying carb cleaner around the intake manifold with engine idling, same as you did to test fuel line connections to check for vacuum leak. When that doesn't come up with anything, test compression . A bad head gasket can cause surging.

GunnerH

Cadet
Thank you for the response. I'll try your suggestion. Did you happen to watch the video I posted on YouTube of the motor running? Hopefully that helps with my description of the issue.

CaptnKingfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you for the response. I'll try your suggestion. Did you happen to watch the video I posted on YouTube of the motor running? Hopefully that helps with my description of the issue.
No i didn't watch the video til just now. Wow that is the first time I've seen anything like that. I mean.. it's such a fast rhythmic miss. Disclaimer: this is newer than anything I've worked on and it's fuel injected which I've got no experience with.

That being said, i suppose if it was my engine, I'd start by reading the plugs after running the engine up at those rpms where the miss occurs. Hopefully you'll get one particular plug that is black and wet with fuel, and you'll have found the problem cylinder. Alternatively you could do a cylinder drop test with the throttle up in that range where you experience the issue. I've only ever done a cylinder drop test at idle, but I don't think itd do any harm to give it some throttle.

If you've got a cylinder missing at high rpms it could be a bad head gasket (revealed by compression test), a damaged spark plug lead (revealed by testing the lead for resistance), you've got new plugs, gapped correctly, one of your new coils could be bad... (After identifying which cylinder is missing, swap the coils and see if the miss moves to another cylinder).. that's about as far as I can go without the service manual for your engine. I dunno what the upstream part of your ignition circuit is.i do not think this is at all related to you changing the impeller

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is a switch on the motor.----It is on the shift linkages on the motor.----Not in the control box !----Look for and check this switch.----If it tells the ECU that motor is in neutral , the motor will not rev up in gear.---Limits RPM to about 3000 RPM.

GunnerH

Cadet
There is a switch on the motor.----It is on the shift linkages on the motor.----Not in the control box !----Look for and check this switch.----If it tells the ECU that motor is in neutral , the motor will not rev up in gear.---Limits RPM to about 3000 RPM.
The Neutral Safety Switch? That is the only switch I recall around or on the shift linkage. It works...as in the boat will not start unless in neutral. I'll be back at the lake on Friday and will take a closer look at it though. Perhaps something is binding it during throttle up? Thanks for reading my post and sharing your insight. I'll update ASAP.

GunnerH

Cadet
No i didn't watch the video til just now. Wow that is the first time I've seen anything like that. I mean.. it's such a fast rhythmic miss. Disclaimer: this is newer than anything I've worked on and it's fuel injected which I've got no experience with.

That being said, i suppose if it was my engine, I'd start by reading the plugs after running the engine up at those rpms where the miss occurs. Hopefully you'll get one particular plug that is black and wet with fuel, and you'll have found the problem cylinder. Alternatively you could do a cylinder drop test with the throttle up in that range where you experience the issue. I've only ever done a cylinder drop test at idle, but I don't think itd do any harm to give it some throttle.

If you've got a cylinder missing at high rpms it could be a bad head gasket (revealed by compression test), a damaged spark plug lead (revealed by testing the lead for resistance), you've got new plugs, gapped correctly, one of your new coils could be bad... (After identifying which cylinder is missing, swap the coils and see if the miss moves to another cylinder).. that's about as far as I can go without the service manual for your engine. I dunno what the upstream part of your ignition circuit is.i do not think this is at all related to you changing the impeller
Thanks. I'll do a compression test this weekend. The spark plugs, plug wires and coils are all new. I swapped to the new coil/wire set and have the same surging issue as with the old set so that eliminates that part of the ignition system. Agree, could be upstream from there.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Read post 7 very carefully.----I am not talking or mentioned the neutral start switch !

GunnerH

Cadet
***UPDATE***
Yesterday, in a last ditch effort before buying or borrowing a trailer and pulling the boat out of the water for significant disassembly (you can only do so much on the boat lift, suspended over 20 feet of water) I literally unplugged and plugged back in every electrical connection I could touch. I didn't think that really made any difference until I buttoned the motor back up and dropped her in the water. I was going to simply putter out of the slip and pull back in. Imagine my shock when I gave her some throttle and she perked right up. I steered out away from the dock and throttled up some more...she's working perfectly, hitting 22 MPH! We're back, baby!

Here is what I think happened. A post above suggested there was an issue with a switch on the motor, on the shift linkage. That suggestion sent me searching, as the only switch I recalled on or around the shift linkage was the neutral safety switch (see picture). On Sunday I backed the boat into the lift and removed the engine cowling and side panel. I didn't see any other switches but decided to simply unplug and plug back in every connection I could touch....sort of a "we've got to try everything attitude". So glad I did! I either have a short somewhere, or (hopefully) one of the plugs was not fully seated. I'm not 100 percent sure but we may have unplugged or pulled on a wire connector when we were disconnecting the linkage to drop the lower unit when replacing the impeller back in April. I really hate that we lost most of the boating season but thrilled to have her running again. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and kindness to this new member!

Happy boating and Semper Fi - Bill

Attachments

• GPS.jpg
    GPS.jpg
    904.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Switches.jpg
    Switches.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4