Supreme Court dismisses Pledge Case-Yippee!

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Supreme Court Dismisses Pledge Case on Technicality <br />Justices Do Not Decide Constitutionality of Reference to God in Pledge of Allegiance <br /><br />The Supreme Court ruled today that a California atheist did not have the legal standing to challenge the constitutionality of the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, dismissing on procedural grounds a lower court's ruling in his favor but sidestepping the broader question of whether the pledge itself is constitutional. <br /><br />To read more...<br /><br /> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40279-2004Jun14.html?referrer=email

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: Supreme Court dismisses Pledge Case-Yippee!

I can't believe the 9th circuit was overturned. They are such a balanced group.. :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

They kind of swept the case under the rug with thier decission, but I'll take it.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

"Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist agreed with the outcome of the case, but still wrote separately to say that the Pledge as recited by schoolchildren does not violate the Constitution. Justices Sandra Day O'Connor and Clarence Thomas agreed with him."<br /><br />I hope these guys are around the next time!!!

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

COOL!!!!!!! :D I am so glad it was overturned! That guy in California is a nut-case, IMHO.<br /><br />Butch A.

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

"don't force everyone to conform to his beliefs"<br /><br />No let's not do that, let's teach everyone to conform to my beliefs - that's much better.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

court decided it's really not worth their time and<br />it's really not worth our time either...it's a "non<br />issue" IMO.<br />if MY kids get a stronger message from their liberal<br />run school than they get at home, then shame on me!

LadyFish

Admiral

The overall ruling was pretty anti-climatic as far as I'm concerned. Maybe because it won on a technicality.<br /><br />This is not the end of this issue and many others including currency and any other written word of God or visable signs of worship.<br /><br />This is the dechristianization of America and we either fight it or we sit back on our laurels and watch it happen.<br /><br />The 9th Circuit's ruling for this one particular case does not represent the ultimate direction of where we are headed IMO.

HEDJUG

Cadet

Is it good for a god fearing person to call somebody a S.O.B?

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

real emotion is never the problem... it's how folks<br />react to it that creates friction...<br />we are not always in control of our "re-actions"<br />for many reasons, although we should be ;)

LadyFish

Admiral

Hedjug<br /><br />I think God fearing people say and do a lot of things when they are compassioniate about them. Maybe they don't fear God as much as they love him for his guidance.

BinLurkin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They dismissed it on a technicality rather than address the issue as they should. They know that won't win.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

It is common for the Supreme Court to tackle issues based on their lowest common denominator. There is nothing new here or 'chicken hearted' about the way they dealt with this one. Historically, constitutionalists on the Court would rather let the citizenry deal with the issues instead of seaming to legislate or unnecessarily set a precedent. If we are lucky, and they are true to their historical role, they only rule on the merits of a particular issue when there is no alternative.

PW2

Commander

Majority rules? Hmm... where in the constitution or the bill of rights does it say that? I can't seem to find it.<br />And dechristianization of America? When did that happen? Just yesterday it seemed like there was practially a church on every street corner, virtually all of which enjoy tax-free status--even those that openly and blatantly support a particular political ideology, and most of which I am free to go and attend their services if I choose.<br />How does that dechristianize America?

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Kind of a cheezy way out but, procedurally they are correct. As a matter of law the father is not the primary parent, and therefor has no standing. Wonder why the 9th circuit didn't see that??<br /><br />What a great father putting his daughter through this when it is not her objection and not the objection of the primary parent (mother). Jerk.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I just would like to know when this is going to stop. IMHO it should be just throwed out now. If it keeps going further on this seperation of state and religion, then the next step will be probably to remove the amendment on giving us our freedom of religion. After all if our system has to seperate the two, then what right does our consitution have to do with giving the freedom of relegion.<br /><br />If the stupid idiot fails completely on trying to get this overturned, then he needs to pay up for all the money and time wasted on this issue. There is far more important issues at hand than disturbing the moral fabric of our communities.<br /><br />I think this guy is going to be ridiculed and subjected to grief by people in his community. If not he should be. What is his daughter going to think of him when she becomes a teen? I don't think she is going to like being the daughter of the man who disrupted our county. His problems haven't started yet, just wait a few years once she grows up.

PW2

Commander

Say what??? Your logic completely escapes me. Are you suggesting that the state needs to impose a specific religion on us to show us we have freedom of religion?<br /><br />Now that logic may be something like the logic my ex-wife would say to justify purchasing the latest batch of shoes, but it still makes no sense to me.