Supporting our Troops

KaGee

Admiral
I've been looking for a way to show encouragement and support for our men and women on the front line of our defense of freedom.<br />I believe I found it:<br /> MY SOLDIER PROJECT <br /><br />See what you think.<br /><br />I just registered.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Supporting our Troops

Looks like a really great project to me, KaGee. :)

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey KaGee, this looks like a really good site. I also served 25 1/2 years in the army and I think this is a super site. Not only do you support the troops , no matter what nation, but the individuals really appreciate getting letters and care packages. I know as it has happened to me.

KennyKenCan

Commander

I registered.<br /><br />Hard to believe it is going to take 5 to 8 weeks to formalize everything.<br /><br />This site must be recieving alot of hits!

spratt

Lieutenant

I am now registered also...thanks for the heads up!!! When I was in the service, it would have been nice to have had a pen pal when I was away from everyone and everything that was home and freind to me...had to settle for other sailors and the girls who doted on us...

Link

Rear Admiral

KaGee<br />Looks like a good site to me. Just registered also. I have a lot of friends and family over there buts thats a bit different. They already have a support group from us. <br /><br />Great post

KaGee

Admiral

A bump, cause it's worth it.<br />Specially after reading Skinnywaters post.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Proudly registered...And I usually NEVER give such information out about myself on the web.<br /><br />This, however, is worth all the spam it generates.

dhud64

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got a response today by e-mail. Anyone else hear from the project yet? <br /><br />-------------------<br /><br /><br />Dear dhud,<br /><br /> Thank you so much for adopting a soldier through the My Soldier. <br />Your support will boost the morale of the men and women deployed overseas. <br />My Soldier packages are sent to soldiers serving on "hardship <br />tours." These are troops who are away from their family for more than <br />three months, serving in conflict regions such as Iraq, Afghanistan, Korea, <br />Kosovo and parts of Africa.<br /><br />Due to overwhelming response we are unable to mail your Starter kit <br />immediately. However we know that so many people are anxious to send a <br />package in time for the holidays we wanted to supply you with your soldier <br />contact information. Your first correspondence will go through the <br />following military sanctioned platoon contact supplied below. We have found <br />that using a Point of Contact for the initial mailing is often a preferred <br />method, as the platoon contact can make sure the soldier is still on active <br />duty overseas, and knows when they are scheduled to return home.<br /><br />LCPL Lohman, Ryan<br />1st Bn. 3rd Marines<br />Bravo Co. 1st Platoon<br />Unit 44025<br />FPO-AP 96607-4025<br /><br />Please put your contact's name and address on the outside of your package. <br />When the platoon contact receives your letter/package, they will pass it on <br />to your soldier, who signed up with them to be a part of the program. Your <br />soldier will then write back to you. Remember it is important to request a <br />response in your letter! From then on, you will use your soldier's name <br />when sending mail (along with the same APO address) so it will go directly <br />to them. We ask that you address your initial contact letter "Dear soldier" <br />or "Dear friend." Responses are not guaranteed. It may take three weeks for <br />letters to make it to your soldier so there is sill time to send them a <br />Holiday Package. Even then, they may not always receive it. If the mail <br />misses the serviceperson at the address given, the mail is returned, not <br />forwarded.<br /><br />If you have any questions, please check our Information page and FAQ <br />(Frequently Asked Questions) list on our website at www.mville.edu or feel <br />free to contact us via email, or the My Soldier dedicated phone line <br />914-323-5172.We hope that you enjoy corresponding with your soldier!<br /><br />Stephanie Quinn Mike Seminara<br />QuinnSt@mville.edu SeminaraM@mville.edu<br /><br />"My Soldier" Program Student Coordinators<br /><br />PS. Your Starter Kit will be mailed as soon as we have replenished our <br />supplies. We thank you for your patience during this wait, which is <br />currently running from about eight weeks.<br /><br />****MAILING HINTS FOR HOLIDAYS*******<br /><br />PRIORITY MAIL FOR APO/FPO ADDRESSES: According to the USPS the packages you <br />send via Priority Mail have potential to arrive in country quicker than <br />other classes of packages. WHY? The United States Postal Service claims <br />that they ship your letters or packages in an average of 2 days with <br />Priority Mail(r) to the APO/FPO addresses. From there, the military takes <br />over the delivery. While it of course can't retain its 2-day delivery time <br />when the military loads a plane with mail, they load letters first then <br />packages with USPS Priority Mail postage.<br /><br />HOLIDAY MAILING DATES: If you mail packages on or before December 11th via <br />Priority Mail, it stands a good chance of reaching a deployed soldier in <br />time for the Holidays. We are told that the soldiers would appreciate party <br />novelties, such as poppers and blowers to make New Year's Eve festive.<br /><br />PACKAGE SIZE: Keep the packages small in size and under 5 pounds in weight. <br />Larger packages take longer to be delivered and are more cumbersome for <br />your soldier to haul around. Smaller, more frequent packages are your best <br />option<br /><br />STRATEGY FOR QUICKER MAIL DELIVERY: The key to getting packages to <br />deployed troops on time is not only meeting the deadline, and keeping <br />packages small, but also making sure everything is spelled correctly, to <br />include the recipient's full name, unit and address.<br />INCREASING YOUR CHANCES OF HEARING BACK FROM YOUR SOLDIER: Please keep in <br />mind that responses are not guaranteed. The soldiers will appreciate your <br />letter or package but are under no obligation to reply. However, if you <br />want to really increase your chances of getting a reply simply pre-address <br />an envelope to yourself, a few pieces of paper, and a pen and put them in <br />your package. No need for a stamp on the envelope. In your letter to the <br />soldier, which you also put in the package, ask him/her to drop you a quick <br />note and ask them to let you know if there is anything in particular you <br />can send. Also ask questions about them-hobbies, favorites, family, etc., <br />that would show the soldier you want to get to know them. And, include your <br />e-mail address if you would like them to try to e-mail you if they get a <br />chance<br />We understand that making this effort is very difficult knowing that your <br />soldiers may not respond to you - their supporter. Therefore please <br />remember that you are making a difference and when your soldier(s) receive <br />your gifts, letters and cards, it most definitely raises morale and puts a <br />smile on their face<br /><br /><br />EXPECTATIONS: We recommend that your adoption support measure consists of <br />sending upbeat, frequent (minimum of monthly) correspondence and occasional <br />care packages to your assigned soldier or Point of Contact. Ask questions <br />about them-hobbies, favorites, family, etc., that would show the soldier <br />you want to get to know them. Also include your e-mail address if you would <br />like them to try to e-mail you if they get a chance<br />WHY DO PLATOON OR OPERATION LEADERS MAKE GOOD FIRST CONTACTS: We are told <br />that when the platoon leader or command center receives donations they have <br />identified units who are in need and distribute to soldiers who have <br />expressed interest in adopt a soldier programs.<br /><br />Care Package - Suggestions and Ideas:<br />*** Just a note, socks, lip balm and long underwear seem to be what is <br />needed most right now. ***<br /><br />Foods: energy foods, breakfast and granola bars, beef summer sausage, <br />crackers, non-melting candy, gum, cookies (do not send candy such as <br />chocolate that will melt in the heat), beef jerky, tuna in pouches or pop <br />top cans, pop top cans of fruit, pretzels, canned chips, raisins, trail <br />mix, nuts, dried fruit, hot sauce in plastic containers, pre-packaged snack <br />food, bean and cheese dips, powdered, sugared drink mixes are especially <br />needed (Gatorade, Kool-Aid, etc.)<br /><br />Toiletries: waterless soap, antibacterial hand soap, deodorant, boot <br />powder, baby wipes, toothpaste & toothbrush, disposable razors, shaving <br />cream, hand/body lotion (unscented), lip balm, sunscreen, no-water <br />Excedrin, soft toilet paper, moisturizing/cleaning eye drops, saline nasal <br />spray, cotton swabs, eye glass wipes, dental floss, throat drops, Vaseline, <br />aloe vera burn gel, flexible cloth bandages, blister care, oral pain <br />reliever, ingrown toenail reliever<br /><br />Free Time Materials: Magazines (wrestling, boxing, fitness magazines, <br />sports magazines, comic books, Mad), books, paper, pens (black ink only), <br />pencils, word puzzle books, joke books, puzzles, board games (chess, <br />checkers, Monopoly, etc.) decks of cards, newly released movies, movies you <br />tape from cable or TV programs (VHS or DVD). Used DVD's are fine. Send the <br />Sunday comics or use it as packing material!<br /><br />Miscellaneous: Underwear, bandannas, swimmers' goggles, strong flashlight <br />with batteries, 12-hour orange glow sticks, surgical masks, sunglasses, <br />shoe insoles, water bottles with straps, socks, bug repellent, flea <br />collars, zip-seal baggies, batteries, air fresheners, pocket Kleenex, and <br />blank postcards.<br />What are some restrictions? Since unsolicited mail may be returned, My <br />Soldier deals only with soldiers who have solicited letters. Every My <br />Soldier platoon contact/soldier has voluntarily signed up to receive <br />letters and care packages from folks back home. Also, the following items <br />are restricted from inclusion in care packages: Pressurized items like <br />shaving cream, Sexually suggestive material, Liquor, Religious objects, <br />Pork products & Chocolate/candy that melts easily.

dhud64

Petty Officer 1st Class

My contact:<br /><br />LCPL Lohman, Ryan<br />1st Bn. 3rd Marines<br />Bravo Co. 1st Platoon<br />Unit 44025<br />FPO-AP 96607-4025<br /><br />I saw on another site somebody had the same contact as me? Then another contact was also in the 1st Bn. 3rd Marines? Thats kinda strange....what about your contacts?