Supporting our Troops

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer
Here is a great program I saw on Fox News yesturday.<br /><br />If you did not know the military is giving the troops on 1 year rotations to Iraq & Afganistan two week R&R passes back to the states.<br /><br />There is a problem though.<br />The Military will only bring the troops to the east coast and no further.<br /><br />Our troops are from all over the country and are on there ownt to get the rest of the way home.<br /><br />A program has been started and supported by many of the airlines that you can donate your frequent flyer miles to a soldier serving in a war zone traveling back to the states on their two week pass to help get them home.<br /><br />Here is the site:<br /><br />www.heromiles.org

bubbakat

Captain
Re: Supporting our Troops

It was the same way during the vietnam era when I arrived at san fransisco I was responsible for transporting my kazoo on to tenn. We could fly tree top airlines but had to go by miltary stand by so sometimes you would have to wait all day and sometimes two to get a seat.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Great Program.... If I had the air miles, I'd give em up... I'll see what I can do.. ;) <br /><br />One thing that kinda bugs me... These airlines, bus lines, trains, ect, should eat the profits and let our Boys and Girls travel home for free, especially durring the holidays, and, get em' home A.S.A.P. in fine style... :confused: :(

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

EDITED:<br /> <br />It seems the letter I posted was false.So I thought it best to remove it. Should have done my homework befroe posting it but I got it in an E-Mail from my dad So it had to be true.
banghead.gif

two2canoe

Seaman Apprentice

This is one Viet Nam vet, whose son is on orders to Iraq, that has bought the last thing he ever will at Target!

Mikevn1500

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did not know that about Target. We got some of our kids christmas stuff there. As a former Marine I can garentee where I will be at 9 AM sat morning. I will return everything. I am fuming DAMM!!!

Mikevn1500

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One more thing I will tell them the reason why I am returning the Items, the reason why I wont be back, and the reason why I will be telling everyone that I know why they should not be shopping there.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Boatingfool: That letter reads like something that is not the genuine article. I could be wrong but it looks bogus to me.<br /><br />Another urban legend. <br /><br />Jinx

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

One way to find out is to simply call Target and ask If you can set up for Toys for Tots and if not ask why. :)

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A quick search for organizations named Vietnam Veterans Association did not locate anything but Australians and a few locals.<br /><br />Further, the letter states that Target is a French company. This is just not true. It is headquartered in Minneapolis. There is not a Frenchman or French institution in its top ten owners, according to Yahoo Finance.<br /><br />Just someone with an axe to grind making mischieve.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Listen to jinx he knows his stuff. Lets not get our ire up till we know the facts. Target was founded in Minnesota by Dayton's. Daytons was also founded in Minnesota by a Minnesotan. Target may or may not support toy's for tot's but the do have a very generous background of givving that is far more diverse than the list in that letter. I do not claim to know there Human Resource policy's either but suspect the claim is false. <br /><br />Besides when I first heard what a Lesbian did I thought perhaps I was one...Turns out I'm not. :D