Supporting a fiberglass boat for painting?

79MERC1150

Seaman Apprentice
Our 1980 Astroglass bass rig is in need of some bottom touch up. I also want to paint the hull while it's off of the trailer. The trailer also needs new carpet on the bunks, and a paint job. This probably sound like a stupid question.

Will the two ski tow hooks and the bow hook support the weight of the boat safely? The hull is very solid. It would be great to be able to lift the boat off of the trailer, about 5 foot in the air, and be able to paint the entire hull from the gunnell line down.

Thanks,
Charles

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Supporting a fiberglass boat for painting?

Our 1980 Astroglass bass rig is in need of some bottom touch up. I also want to paint the hull while it's off of the trailer. The trailer also needs new carpet on the bunks, and a paint job. This probably sound like a stupid question.

Will the two ski tow hooks and the bow hook support the weight of the boat safely? The hull is very solid. It would be great to be able to lift the boat off of the trailer, about 5 foot in the air, and be able to paint the entire hull from the gunnell line down.

Thanks,
Charles
In most cases yes, take everything you can out of the inside, empty the gas tank and pull the engine. You shouldn't have any problems.

79MERC1150

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it could be a little iffy. Maybe I should tie the hull off to as many points as possible, just for safety. It will make a good winter project.

Charles

allpoints360

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will the two ski tow hooks and the bow hook support the weight of the boat safely?

If your ski tow hooks have a backing plate and your transom is solid, you should not have any problems using to lift the boat. That being said, I would still have a cradle or even the big styrofoam cubes to sit the boat on while I did the work to the trailer. Then lift again to paint the hull.

Good luck.

drewpster

Commander

We use a gantry to do the very thing you described. To be as safe as possible unload the boat the way sschefer described to get it light. Also if possible inspect the mounting of the tow and bow hooks and make sure they have backing plates. If you see ANY movement in the hooks against the hull when you start to raise it, stop and figure something else out. If they can move, they can pull out.
I do not recommend working under the boat while it is hanging in the air unless you have at least two forms of support to keep it from falling. It is never a good idea to work under a suspended load. If I have no other option I will work under one on the gantry using the hoist to lift it and support it. I also add chains connected to the gantry beam itself passed under the hull as an added safety. The gantry itself becomes the danger if you have some kind of failure causing the boat to fall. Solid stands on the ground are safer if you have to work under the boat.

102_3449.jpg

sschefer

Rear Admiral

You can take a look at the way I did mine in my resto thread. It works really well and is easy. The only drawback on a glass boat is that at three points the paint would not be continuous. It worked out fine for me with a Tinny. You could set up like mine and do 99.99 pct of the work then lift it to finish it off and paint.

drewpster

Commander

You can take a look at the way I did mine in my resto thread. It works really well and is easy. The only drawback on a glass boat is that at three points the paint would not be continuous. It worked out fine for me with a Tinny. You could set up like mine and do 99.99 pct of the work then lift it to finish it off and paint.

Awsome craft to say the least. Cool stands too!