Support for Cleats and Bow Rails

loges17

Cadet
When I removed my cleats and bow rails, many of the bolts had to be drilled out because they seemed to be welded to the alluminium backing plates from salt corrosion or something...

When I go to re-install them should I use stainless steel backing plates as the cleats, bolts etc are stainless steel to prevent this from happening in the future? What are other alternatives?

Is it difficult to get stainless steel backing plates or sheets of stainless steel (not sure how easy it will be to cut and drill....), I recently went into west marine and they had nothing for backing plates and I went into Ace and Home Depo and nothing suitable there either... was just wondering what other people have used?

My boat is pretty old too so don't have great confidence in the fibreglass spots where the cleats etc go so want to spread the load as much as I can...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Support for Cleats and Bow Rails

Aluminum with stainless steel hardware but the aluminum will corrode in salt water unless you paint it......... hardwood or plywood as long as it is well sealed on ALL sides.

Stainless is great but had to drill unless you have Cobalt bits. I get scrap stainless from a shop near me and use it for many things.