Super stuck gimbal bearing in Mercruiser Pre-Alpha -- is there a clip?

wxkl

Cadet
Hello,
I have a very old prealpha mercruiser, serial number dates it to about 1967. The gimbal bearing is very, very stuck, so I did some internet sleuthing and have found a few sources that say that there's a circlip in these old housings, behind the gimbal bearing? Apparently they got rid of this clip in 1969, so I can't find a ton of info about it, like, you know, how to remove it or what it looks like or anything.

Just wondering if anyone knows about these clips, and how to a) see if I have one, and b) get it out? Or have a parts diagram that shows it or anything like that?

Thanks!!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the snap ring is to the rear of the bearing. Clean out all the grease and if there you need a very long set of snapring pliers to remove the ring. There is no need to replace the ring if using a new style bearing

kenny nunez

Captain
Is the outer diameter of the bearing under the snap ring made from white plastic? If so there are 2 slots in the plastic where the bearing can be rotated 90* and pulled out, then with a screwdriver you will be able to pry out the plastic retainer, there will also may be some brass shim stock that needs to be discarded.
If the outer ring is steel or aluminum sometimes this is where a torch is needed to heat the outer area of the housing along with a good slide hammer.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

wxkl

Cadet
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not 100% sure which model I have, but I think it's an MC-1. Based on what I can read of the serial number, it's either an EZ-shift or an MC-1. Definitely a 1967-1969

I was mostly just wondering if there was, in fact, a prealpha motor that has a clip. If so, I'd love to know where the clip is and how to get it out, because this bearing is NOT coming out (used penetrating oil + a mapp torch + a giant slide hammer for HOURS). I should check for a clip, I think, and if it's there, there's my problem, and if it's not, then I know I should just keep going.

thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
...I was mostly just wondering if there was, in fact, a **** motor that has a clip. ...

wxkl

Cadet
Hi, reviving this thread a little because I cannot find a clip and the bearing still won't come out. Is the clip pretty obvious? Like, would I feel it with my hands, or is there a secret trick to getting the clip out? I'm imagining that the clip must protrude up past the bearing hole so I should be able to feel it, but maybe I'm wrong. Is there a better diagram showing where the clip is situated or how to get it out? Getting desperate. Thanks!

The snap ring ears should be pretty obvious if you have one. What tool are you using to try to remove the gimbal bearing? One tool that works well is a rear wheel bearing puller. Malllory makes a gimbal bearing puller tool # 9-79820

wxkl

Cadet
The snap ring ears should be pretty obvious if you have one. What tool are you using to try to remove the gimbal bearing? One tool that works well is a rear wheel bearing puller. Malllory makes a gimbal bearing puller tool # 9-79820
Thanks for the info. I'm using a BIG slide hammer. I do not see an obvious snap ring, but I'm also confused about how this bearing is so stuck. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I've been trying to get this out for over a month now! I've put penetrating oil in there and let it soak for a few hours to a few days, gone through about 5 cans of oil. Heated it up with a mapp torch... spent at least a total of probably 12 solid hours banging on it with a slide hammer (not all at once, of course, but about a half hour at a time every few days or multiple times a day... that's all my arms can handle LOL). The thing is, the bearing hasn't moved a single millimeter. I feel like there MUST be something I'm missing.

Would a puller be significantly easier than a slide hammer? If there is a snap ring, where would it be in relation to the bearing? I've read through the materials that people were kind enough to post here and it says it's behind the bearing and someone here noted that it's to the "rear" of the bearing. Does this mean it's bow-side of the bearing (i.e. sandwiched in between the bearing and the transom) or on the stern side of the bearing (i.e. from bow to stern of the boat it would go transom, bearing, snap ring, and then outdrive)?
Thanks!! Really looking forward to removing this somehow.

todhunter

Canoeist
I spent the money on a puller tool and had my gimbal bearing out in 10 minutes or so. It was in there pretty good too...I wouldn't have wanted to try to get it out with a slide hammer.

wxkl

Cadet
ok, so I'm hearing that a puller is way better than a slide hammer... do I need a specific puller for a MC-1, or will any "mercruiser/alpha/bravo/etc" puller work? Or just any bearing puller? I'm seeing sets from anywhere from $50-$250, but I can't tell if there's a difference between them. I already have the bearing aligning tool, so I would just need the puller. Would this work? Says "Mercruiser Alpha Bravo" but technically I don't have an alpha OR a bravo... https://www.ebay.com/itm/392909119139

Thanks!

EDIT: Or is it possible just to rent a rear bearing puller from NAPA or Autozone or something for the afternoon?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yes that will work. you can also just get a wheel bearing puller, but it requires the slide hammer anyway. You already failed with that so I would get the right puller.

ccoon520

Seaman
ok, so I'm hearing that a puller is way better than a slide hammer... do I need a specific puller for a MC-1, or will any "mercruiser/alpha/bravo/etc" puller work? Or just any bearing puller? I'm seeing sets from anywhere from $50-$250, but I can't tell if there's a difference between them. I already have the bearing aligning tool, so I would just need the puller. Would this work? Says "Mercruiser Alpha Bravo" but technically I don't have an alpha OR a bravo... https://www.ebay.com/itm/392909119139

Thanks!

EDIT: Or is it possible just to rent a rear bearing puller from NAPA or Autozone or something for the afternoon?
When I pulled my gimbal bearing I rented a bearing puller from Autozone.

Also depending on how frequently you intend on doing this job it might be worth it to have a shop pull and install the new bearing for you. Once I had the bearing puller it only took me 10 minutes to pull and seat the bearing. So even at 150 an hour for shop labor (my local place is 105 but it depends on where you live) you might be money ahead to have them pull and seat the new bearing for you (as long as you provide the new bearing too).

Alumarine

Captain
I made this gimbal bearing removal tool using a rear bearing puller attached to a length of I think 5/8" fine thread ready rod.
Even using this it fought me good but it worked.
I'm sure the bearing was original.
gimbal bearing removal tool - small.jpg

wxkl

Cadet
ok thanks all. I bought a bearing puller and will let you know how it goes (probably later this week). I will also take a photo later today or tomorrow just so you can check and see if there's a clip or if you see anything funky.