Suntracker pontoon trailers

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Suntracker pontoon trailers

The easiest way for me to load the boat on the trailer is to get in the water, after I back the trailer up so the bunks are just getting wet in the rear. My wife will toss me a line that I have hooked on an eye bolt in the front center.Then I pull the boat up a little to steady it .Then I get back in the truck and back it up some more Until the boat is near the wench cable While this is happening she is holding the rear steady with a long alumn. pole. Where we do this the tide is a factor, and the bigger boats in the area. The channel is 40 ft.The boat is a 24 ft StarCraft. with a 90 hp two stroke oil injected motor. It doesn't help that I'm 70 years old and my wife is 65.

gsassy

Recruit

At 70 you have a good system if it works well for you. Most importantly, you are still using your boat!

water world

Petty Officer 3rd Class

don't back trailer so far in water. boat is floating off trailer i was service manager for tracker dealer
for years

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Our lake is very wide and deep, with often large waves in the Spring, Fall and Winter. People often have difficulties pulling into their boathouses--especially pontoon boats. Pontoons are like kites--very un-aerodynamic.

I point my boat into the wind, and make a 90 degree turn--driving my boat into the boathouse at idle speeds. I often have to throw the boat into reverse and hit the throttle to stop it. Some of these techniques also work on pulling onto trailers.

Anyone that has trouble trailering their boat should consider finding a boat ramp that is in very protected waters--and as calm water as is possible. Driving a few extra miles to a better ramp may save frustrations--and dented hulls.

jlongsta

Cadet

Thanks for your tips. I agree that Pontoons are like kites. We have identified some protected boat ramps at most of the lakes we go to. That does really help. I think too, we need more experience. We bought the boat at the end of the summer this year so, hopefully, next summer we will gain that additional experience.

Silver Eagle

How long are the metal bars that hold the 2x4's

jlongsta

Cadet

Thank you. Your drawing is almost identical to how we retrofited the our trailer.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

that style works better than any thing elese I have seen.

jlongsta

Cadet

I agree. I'm not sure why the manufacturer doesn't spend just a little extra and do this design. Everyone I've talked to has to redo their trailers.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I agree. I'm not sure why the manufacturer doesn't spend just a little extra and do this design. Everyone I've talked to has to redo their trailers.

Suntracker??????? Spend a little extra????????? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!:p

Silver Eagle

One more question,Is the metal 2x2 inches square ?Our boat is put away for the winter so I want to have this made up before the season opens up.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

yes on the ones I have and thats what the drawing in made fron it is 2 x 2 x 3/8 flat bar, but a lot depends on your trailer 2 inch may be wide enough if your cross members are 2 inches , and on the A dementions the height from the trailer up to the top where the 2 x 4 bolt on may be diffrent due to diffrent types of trailers that drawing was just something to work from.

Silver Eagle

Can you see one of them on a pontoon boat. Talk about strange looks .I wonder what powers the wheels. ? and The cost is way beyound what I would want to pay.

Silver Eagle

Do you have a picture of the boat on the trailer?

taggy

Seaman

quick tip for backing up a trailer. Put one hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Move that hand in the direction that you want the trailer to go. If you want the trailer to move to the right, the bottom of the steering wheel turns to the right.