SunTracker Party Barge - Removing rear cushion from carpeted platform

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have a 1997 Suntracker Signature 25 Party Barge. This question may be answerable by anyone who has replaced upholstery or carpet on a late 90's or early 2000's Suntracker.

On the shelf/seat that is over the motor, I'm trying to replace the carpet on the plywood the bench seat cushion is mounted on. Removed the screws that hold on mounting arms underneath the carpeted plywood...expecting that the same screws is what hold the upholstered seat cushion on. The cushion is vinyl over foam over plywood too. I was surprised to find when I removed the screws the seat cushion 'assembly' is somehow still mysteriously fastened to the carpeted plywood underneath. There are no other visible screws or hardware on the underside. The carpet is wrapped over the sides of the plywood and the ends nicely hidden under the cushion.

I can't figure out what is holding the seat cushion 'assembly' to the carpeted plywood. I see no other fasteners or holes in the carpet. I pried a small gap between the carpeted plywood and the seat cushion and can't see any fasteners, nor does it appear that it's glued. Very puzzling.

Anyone ever taken one of these apart for recarpeting or upholstering? There must be something I'm overlooking.

On an editorial note, I'm surprised that Tracker used so many non-stainless fasteners (screws, staples, etc.) on interior panels.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: SunTracker Party Barge - Removing rear cushion from carpeted platform

Stainless fasteners are expensive. And a picture would sure help. But as a pure guess I would suspect the seat has T nuts built into the seat and the screws and under the carpet.

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll add pictures tomorrow. Attached is a picture of the seat. There can't be any screws under the carpet since the carpet is wrapped up around the sides, so the screw heads would be under the carpet...no way to tighten or loosen.

pic of rear shelf seat.JPG

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are a few other pics, but not sure how helpful they will be. I took the whole rear bench/seat assembly off the boat and removed the mounting brackets. There are no other visible fasteners to remove to detach the seat/cushion from the carpeted platform. I thought the screws that held the brackets onto the carpeted platform also would be what held/attached the seat/cushion, but that is not the case. There are no other screw heads or bolt heads, nor are there any slits or holes in the bottom of the carpeted platform where fasteners may be hiding. There are some worn spots on the edges of the carpeted platform that are big enough to slip my hand into, and I can't feel any fasteners. IMG_0525.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0525.jpg
    IMG_0525.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0522.jpg
    IMG_0522.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0523.jpg
    IMG_0523.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

I know this might sound stupid...have you tried prying it loose?

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

Is this top cushion upholstered to another piece of plywood or does the foam go all the way to the base piece of plywood? See if the carpeting might be stapled right up tight to the cushion boxing. If so loosen it and see what is under it.

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a piece of plywood inside the upholstered cushion as well and it is mysteriously fastened to the carpeted plywood piece.

@airdvr1227: I did put a pry bar between the two peices and pried slightly...just wanted to see if the two were glued, but they don't appear to be. I'm trying to avoid damaging anything too much so I didn't want to pry hard and break something.

The carpet wraps around the base plywood piece and the loose carpet edges are hidden in between the carpeted plywood and the plywood base of the upholstered piece. Logic would say there should be some exposed fasteners on the carpeted side. I'm going to slice the carpet a bit today to get a better look.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

I'm just thinking that a 16 year old barge has probably had enough crap land on it that it might simply be welded together. Seems like the worst you might break is a piece of plywood.

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I figured it out. Cut the carpet back and saw a few countersunk screws. I think the factory made small slits in the carpet so they could hide the heads after tightened down.

Strange thing is the plywood in the upholstered section is marine grade, but the plywood in the carpeted section is not. Suntracker probably buys the upholstered piece ready made, but then cheaps out and attaches it to non-marine wood. Silly because the carpet is going to get wet. So I'm need to find a marine grade plywood dealer nearby now. Gotta love it.

Thanks for the suggestions!! Don't know what I would do without you guys and this forum!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I suspected that the carpet is added after the seat is attached and glued and warped around then tucked under the edges of the seat.

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

Glad you got it figured out. That was my next recommendation. Sometimes its hard to see the slits after the carpet is glued back down.