Sunset Lake in Wildwood, NJ

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
In August I will be spending some time at a place right across the street from Sunset Lake in Wildwood. I've boated thru there several times and have stayed at this location several times but this time I want to bring the boat and possibly anchor in Sunset Lake for the day even when I'm not aboard. My question is, has anyone anchored there or is anyone familiar with the area that could suggest any problems / concerns that I might have? I'm a little worried about leaving it unattended in case someone wants to climb aboard but I'll be close enough that I should be able to see if that happens. The other concern I know is changing tides while anchored unattended.

So, I'm looking for any information or suggestions on what to do to ensure a successful couple days with the boat on the hook, even if just during the day and she's hauled out at night.

Thanks.

Philster

Captain
Re: Sunset Lake in Wildwood, NJ

I can tell you this: It's constant wakes during daylight hours. It is a waverunner hot spot... tubing hot spot and wakes wakes wakes. They can post a million 'no wake' signs, and it doesn't matter.

The tide change isn't terrible. It doesn't go way out and dry and even expose any mud along shore. It does get down to 3-4', but not pure mud. The street side is lined with rocks/boulders -- the kind breakers are made from. There are always 1-2 boats moored/anchored 30 feet away from the rocks. Be sure you can hold onto the bottom with your anchor.

I've spend dozens of summers there, and docked my boat there for years. Generally, for crime, the area is very safe . Now, right up a back creek along Park Bvd there is much much quieter water you can walk to. Maybe a transient slip there?

Pull in/out: You have to pay to have it lifted. Nearest practical boat ramp is North Wildwood. Far enough to be a serious pain in the As$..

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sunset Lake in Wildwood, NJ

Philster,

Thanks for the info. The area along the road is where I am/was planning to anchor so knowing about the rocks is a HUGE help. I normally head to Hereford's Inlet from Cape May so going from Sunset Lake to the N.Wildwood ramp isn't terrible.

I'll be in the area Aug 18-24 so if you're around during that time, maybe I'll see you on the water.

-Tom