Sunburns How do you treat them

frroog000

Cadet
Ok myself and the other half were talking about what the best sunburn "treatment". Well I thought boater's and sunburns go togather. So what's a better place to ask. :) :eek: :eek:

Holdimhook

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sunburns How do you treat them

I've always had good luck with vinegar. Also thinly sliced potatoes take the fire out pretty well. Crying seems to help, also. ;) ;)

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Best stuff I've ever found is a suntan gelee -Bain De Sole (think that it's spelled). When running the rivers saw lots of sunburn this stuff not only kills the burn, you don't peel.<br /><br />It's getting harder to find - just bought 2 tubes when in Utah at a discount outlet.<br /><br />I burn really easy and hard to tan. I've burnt so bad that my nose has split, two on one side three on the other two different times (don't ask for pictures, this is a family site). <br /><br />On two river trips (I was a guide seveal years on the Yampa, Green and Colorado rivers) I saw a pair go from sheet white to copper tan in 4 days; both groups were using this stuff. Got some and was the first time I got tan; and, several times when I have got burned I've used it and taned off instead of peeling. Used it on others on the river with great results. Might add I've seen some bad burns -- people don't listen well "cover up from 10 am to 4 pm". I've carried people off the boat with feet so swollen they couldn't walk.<br /><br />Don't go without it now - have to look a little harder each year - got four tubes in reserve!

aspeck

Staff member

When you realize you have been burnt, get to a cold, and I mean COLD, shower or bath. Let the cold water get the heat out to stop the burn from doing more damage than has already been done. (you know how you keep getting more and more red over the next 24 hours).<br /><br />After the burning process has been successfully stopped, then you can add your creams and ointments (aloe vera or whatever you prefer). But if you add those before you have "gotten all the heat out" all you will do is prolong the burning process and make the burn worse.

brother chris

Commander

Here are some home remedies for ya.<br /><br />1.Whole Milk Yogurt Masque<br /><br />Apply plain whole milk yogurt to sunburned areas. The coolness and fat content of the yogurt help soothe the burn. Rinse with cool water when yogurt becomes warm. Reapply as needed.<br /><br />2. Black, Green, or Chamomile Tea Bath<br /><br />Steep 5 tea bags in 2 cups of boiling water for 20 to 30 minutes. Pour tea into a bathtub filled with cool water. Soaking in chamomile tea helps soothe inflamed skin. Black and green teas contain tannins, which help take the sting out of sunburn.<br /><br />3. Apple Cider Vinegar Spritz<br /><br />Fill a spritz bottle with apple cider vinegar (do not substitute white vinegar—it won’t work) and spray sunburned skin. Alternatively, pour cider on a washcloth and apply to skin. Rinse with cool water.<br /><br />5. Aloe Vera Gel<br /><br />Break off a leaf from the aloe plant and apply the gel to sunburned skin. You can buy aloe vera gel in the store as well. Be sure to look for 100% aloe vera with no added ingredients.<br /><br />6. Strawberry Mash<br /><br />Mash ripe strawberries and apply directly to sunburned skin.<br /><br />7. Cucumber Slices<br /><br />Place peeled, thinly sliced cucumbers directly on sunburn. Remove when cucumbers are warm. Cucumber slices are especially good for delicate skin, for example the face and neck.<br /><br />Due to the fact that #6 sounds good, you must have a partner with you to take the strawberries off of you(in any manner you wish) :D

crab bait

Captain

really no joke.. the TEA bath is by far the best.. <br /><br />soak as long as can.. get out .. don't drain tub.. i/2 hr,, soak repeatly.. <br /><br />then apply emu oil.. ( if'n you got some around :) ).. find it a good natural health stores. .<br /><br />www.emu-oil.com

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I will have to go with the Aloe Vera stuff. I once was at a 10 hr, 10,000 dollar catfish tournament and I would not get out of the sun. I was pretty covered up except for my feet. I had a pair of sandals on and they were getting "real" hot, how hot you ask? The wife would wet a rag and lay on them and they would steam, that's how hot they got. :eek: <br /><br />They were so bad at the end of the day, I just about did not make it back to the van to get home.<br />They swelled up to where we had to cut the sandals off.<br />They were burnt bad, should have been taken to the hospital, but we went home and applied the Aloe to it for 3 days straight and finally got the swelling down and the burning to stop.<br />I have the scars on my feet to this day, looks like the straps to the sandals.<br /><br />Aloe Vera all the way for me.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Originally posted by aspeck:<br /> When you realize you have been burnt, get to a cold, and I mean COLD, shower or bath. Let the cold water get the heat out to stop the burn from doing more damage than has already been done. (you know how you keep getting more and more red over the next 24 hours).<br /><br />After the burning process has been successfully stopped, then you can add your creams and ointments (aloe vera or whatever you prefer). But if you add those before you have "gotten all the heat out" all you will do is prolong the burning process and make the burn worse.
I can attest to that fact!!<br /><br />AK Chappy

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

Ive had good luck with vinegar,aloe, and this may not make sense I try and take the hottest shower I can stand....When I get out the burn sensation is usually gone for good...The shower sure sucks but much pain relief afterwards.

frroog000

Cadet

Hang'n In--- Bain de Soleil is the correct spelling If you can't find it you can buy it off the web just do a search :) I never heard of the strawberry mesh treatment sounds better if there isn't a sunburn :D

eeboater

Commander

I kinda let it crust up and fall off... :D <br /><br />Sean

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I agree with Spinner on aloe vera, it works for me, my wife swears by it as she sunburns easily.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Vinager, Malt vinager to be precise. We always carry it around in a small jam jar with a wee cloth soaking inside. When accidentally burnt just wipe the area with the moist cloth as often as necessary and you'll be amazed at the results. I've suffered total back burns which blistered and after my better half applied this I was able to sleep 6hrs without distress. The kids take to it well also. Ours were always with us on the beaches on fishing trips and soon learned to, "get the jar", if accidental burns occured.<br />Ross

QC

Supreme Mariner

I agree with the 100% Aloe Vera Gel. One application seems to work for me and it is VERY soothing. Also, have used Noxema and it works pretty well too. Definitely cools initially and seems to help with the peeling stuff etc.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Aspirin, taken as directed, prevents one from peeling as well. My pharmacist told me this after I spent a long weekend in the sun and it works!

txswinner

Banned

Cold bath soak,Aspirin and aloe from live plant, slice on needle edges the slice in half rubbing the plant over the burn. Used by Native Americans.

karrick

Petty Officer 1st Class

Live aloe works wonders. When I went to Mexico this Spring my neck got toasted and in the parking lot of the hotel were huge aloe plants. I broke a piece off and covered my neck. Within a few hours it was fine. Do remember to wash it off or it will stain your pillow case. I didn't care at the time it was the hotels. :D

ezbtr

Captain

Ice cubes then Lipton tea bags soaked, and apply all over, did it to all my kids when they were little - takes sting out and seemed not to peel. :)

KRS

Banned

Originally posted by txswinner:<br /> Cold bath soak,Aspirin and aloe from live plant, slice on needle edges the slice in half rubbing the plant over the burn. Used by Native Americans.
Get ready for the smell, you thought your high school locker room smelled like feet.... WHOA wait till you wiff the plant!