summer 2014 update

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer
well since the iboat changes I have found it more difficult to use the site. For a starcraft update 2014.
1st trip out this year boat only ran 2 days, then I found a manifold leak, leaking water into #3 intake. What I found is manifold don't last 10 years with intermittent saltwater use. I put a new manifold/riser/end caps. all is running good. I caught the leak right away, she overhead on me coming in from fishing is what caused me to start looking, oil was not even milky yet. Burning the water out for the most part but this was salt water :( in my new engine with 400 hrs on it.

Boat fixed next week trip went great, ran well and caught lots of salmon. I plan for another trip this year and hopefully I can fill the freezer and give lots of fish to my church family.

I am still in the market for a 25 or 26 footer, summer time is better for road trips. If you see a good one prefer one that need rebuilt but with good hull. Anywhere in the Pacific Northwest (oregon, Washington, n. cal, idaho) let me know. I just searched craigs list and only found one in spokane for $5,500. More than I want to spend right now.

Hope all are having a great summer.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Good to hear you caught the manifold/risers before the oil got watered down. How far out do you go? Thanks for a summer update, Elk. :D

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Certain motor disaster narrowly averted it sounds like to me. Around here we just sit back and wait for the salmon to come to us. Huge sockeye run right now with plenty of kings shouldering their way through.

Yeah 5500 for that Super Chief is a bit too much alright in the run down shape it's in. Never heard of a straight 6 205 tho, maybe a 165 MC although they updated it to the Alpha series drive by the looks of it. Always frightens me when they don't take one pic of the interior of the boat, only one reason for that... it's thrashed.

elkhunter338

The salmon so far were in close. 2-4 miles off shore. I caught the problem because the manifold was also plugged, so my high temp alarm went off at 185 deg. which warned me something was wrong. The engine has a fresh water cooling (antifreeze in the block) but these 140's don't offer a cooling system to include the manifold. If I had a bigger intercooler I might try to combine the manifold into the fresh water cooling system.
One thing I read about manifolds is you should leave them with water or fill with antifreeze (winter) to help prevent rusting. I always drained mine. My new approach is to leave fresh water in it during the summer (flush the salt water out after pulling it out of the water), put antifreeze in it for the winter.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So glad you caught that bad manifold... it could have been much worse, huh?

I mostly run in salt and some brackish. I always flush with fresh water and only drain in the winter time like you're talking about. I go ahead and fill the manifold with antifreeze in the winter. I think if you get 5 or 6 years out of a salt ran manifold, you did good.

elkhunter338

I got 9 years of partial use 1-3 weeks per year. I hope leaving water or antifreeze in the manifold will help it last longer. I plan to pull the end plate off in about 5 years to see what the inside of the manifold looks like. I am sure glad I put a fresh water cooling kit on the boat so the engine does not have salt water in it. My grandpa told me salt water is rough on things, he was right.