Sudden freeze...

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last night we dropped below freezing. My motor was in the garage. This morning I noticed oil coming out around the seal between lower unit and also the water pump... not a ton but it was there. What, if anything should I d besides taking it down into my basement...

Thanks for any advice.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Sudden freeze...

drain the lower unit oil and see if there is water in it.

55'Fleetwin7.5

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is now indoors. I will drain and look for water... Is it best to throw new oil in for the winter storage? Basement is dry and warm... I think I did get some expansion that was relieved at the mating sufaces, rather than a crack in the lower unit...

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

My opinion (and only an opinion) is that its more important to get out any old oil if its contaminated with water. One to prevent freezing (not an issue in your basement I suspect) and two to indicate leaks which need to be repaired.

On putting in new oil, (again my opinion) if it was water contaminated, you don't want moisture in the gearcase to result in rust/corrosion.

If not contaminated with water, add oil to prevent you from forgetting and starting it in the spring without it.

If contaminated with water, find and repair the leak, then add the oil.