Submersible trailer lights

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Hard to believe this is still an issue people talk about when there are sealed LED lights around. I even changed all my travel trailer lights to LED and it doesn't even get dunked.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep, best thing I ever did on my trailer was those Tecniq sealed LED lights. Installed them in 2015 and not one problem since, before that EVERY season fiddling with those old fashioned lights!

Omineca

Seaman
It's not the amount of current flow that cause the unsealed bulbs to fail. It's the thermo shock. Hot bulb glass + cold water = failure.
Ah, that explains it! I only have experience of the warm subtropical waters of BC and Alberta lakes. No wonder my bulbs have never blown ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tjgatorland

Recruit
You can always add a dab or two of silicone to the almost submersibles and make them more submersible !!!!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Or replace them w/LED & one and done!
I’m not so much a fan of LED headlights in vehicles still prefer H-4 halogen in proper ECE headlamps like your can use on older Jeep Cherokees, Wranglers and modern Wranglers but LED for everything else…

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Or replace them w/LED & one and done!
I’m not so much a fan of LED headlights in vehicles still prefer H-4 halogen in proper ECE headlamps like your can use on older Jeep Cherokees, Wranglers and modern Wranglers but LED for everything else…
My 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat came with LED headlights from the factory. Awesome headlights. I wouldn't buy another car without.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I looked into adding the factory LED's to my son's '17 Wrangler. The price for the pair (MSRP) is $878. We decided to do a Hella H-4 conversion instead. $260 or so and bulbs are easily replacable standard H-4 bulbs you can buy anywhere. Yes the LED lights are nice though you are right! Even the better aftermarket ones (JW Speaker) are in the $600-$900 range.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I currently use LEDs and have not had a problem..... yet.

Prior to that I used sealed bell jar lights and never had a problem either. I used to always disconnect before they hit the water. My last set lasted 35 years on the original bulbs.

Now I don't disconnect because I have brakes and it would discombobulate the back up.

Bob Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I looked into adding the factory LED's to my son's '17 Wrangler. The price for the pair (MSRP) is $878. We decided to do a Hella H-4 conversion instead. $260 or so and bulbs are easily replacable standard H-4 bulbs you can buy anywhere. Yes the LED lights are nice though you are right! Even the better aftermarket ones (JW Speaker) are in the $600-$900 range.
I have the factory LED's on my '17 JKRubicon. Incredibly sharp cut off and bright like h*ell.
They are not heated though which presents some icing issues if you live in an area with lots of wet sticky snow.