submerged motor

Tadd_P

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Was out early yesterday morning. Going out to the fishing hole and went to pass a barge and one of his tie off ropes was floating in the water and got wrapped around my prop. Spun me around 180 and flipped my boat right over. The motor was under water 1 1/2 to two hours. Will this motor ever run again? Any suggestions?

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: submerged motor

http://www.brokeboats.com/sunk.html

That link should help you out... gotta be fast! the longer its out of water without following the above..the more damage is done! Glad you are ok! That could have turned out bad!

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

time is important. pull the plugs, fog with oil. clean out the carbs. get all water out of fuel. run extra oil in your fuel to get it lubed before bearings start to rust. get the electronics blown out. manuals sometimes have a section for removal from water. get it running and run for a while to dry out. every hour wasted hurts it. search forums, lots of stories. hope you didn't lose too much when it went down

Laddies

Banned

The most important thing is to get it dried out and running yesterday, I don't know the model of your engine so I can't be were exact. Pull the plugs soin the engine to get ride of most of the water in the cyls. flush the cyls with oil and if possable the crankcase with a gas oil mixture of about 10 to 1. BE SURE TO GRD THE IGN. When flushing a spark when you spin the engine is diaster. If ADI ign. it should have spark if not dry it out, drain and flush the fuel system and restart the engine, run it for at least a 1/2 hr. Then pull the starter and dry it out. We dump engines all the time on race boats some hit the water at 10000+ RPM seldom does it hurt them the killer is the rust if not dried out quickly

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

freashwatersubmersion.jpg

skimmer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After the initial dry out and running some fresh petrol with extra oil to lube when youv'e got a bit of time dissasemble everything down to the ports if possible, take the flywheel off and spray the whole motor out with a water displacer (not wd40) we have a product called inox in australia, which will displace any left over residue and protect against rust without degreasing which wd40 and rp7 type products tend to do. inox or lanox is a lanolin based product, someone will know the equivalent in your neck of the woods.