Stupidity that does not stop!!

mmawonder

Seaman
Ok well, everytime I go out on my dinghy, I put my wallet, cell phone and keys in a dry bag. Well this time I forgot my keys back in my main boat and had to go back, when I came back to the dinghy and as I boarded it , I set my cell phone on the floor, just for a second, so I could attach my homemade tiller extension.
Anyhow I get the tiller extension and its clamp on, take my position by the bow (small boat, big motor, no bllast, I need to sit upfront to keep the nose down on small speeds) and start cruising around the marina. About 20 minutes later a strong wind blows my hat off and it falls in the water, so I turn the boat around but as I turn the boat, I start smelling gas, I dont pay atention to it it at first thinking wind just blew some fumes my way. I grab the hat off the water and throw it on the floor, but realize there is already a pubble on the floor. I smell it and its gas, I am friggin sitting on half a tank of 50/1 premix in a small dinghy. What happend is my spare one gallon tank fell on its side and the vent cap came off. As I get up and start moving things around, I realize the spray pain that I used to paint the floors of the dinghy is coming of and going all over my shoes, bag and lie jackets, when I am moving the life jackets, I realize I never actually put my phone in the dry bad and now its swimming in gas.....well I make it back to my boat, take everything off and suck the gass off the floors. My phone smells like gas and I can see a puddle of gas behind the touch screen of my iphone, moving , as I move the phone around. I decide to let the gas evaporate itself and leave the phone under the sun. After an hour with no improvement, I take a heat gun and decide to " warm up the phone" so the gas would evaporate quicker. So I am sitting in my boat, with a heat gun on one hand and phone on the other. I am also moving the phone to sluch the gasolie to find a suitable evaporation place, as I turn it one way I see some small bubbles in the puddle, which indicates to my that the gas i poring out either somewhere else or to different compartment of the phone. With the stupid hope of gas coming off the speakerphone I keep on moving the phone trying to maximize the bubbles, where I realize that I am actually boiling the friggin gas inside the phone with the heat gun. At that point I decided that I did enough damage for one day and stopped.

Outcome? Paint job, pretty much gone
Iphone: Gas evaporated and nothing exploded but I have the rainbow straks of evaporated gas behind the screen that I cant remove.

Some days, you just cant stop being stupid, it goes on and on and on...

cbavier

Lieutenant
Re: Stupidity that does not stop!!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. :(We've all done stupid things and S**t happens. Sounds like your in the market for a new phone. Smile better days are coming. :)

mthieme

Captain

Battle scars build character. I hope these things provide habitat for marine life. I know there is at least one at the bottom of every pier on my creek.
Fortunately for me, I carry a company cell phone.:) The closest it has come to the drink was when I had a handful of crap coming through the front door one afternoon and dropped into the kitchen sink. Then there was the one that didn't return from pheasant hunting...:eek:

Shizzy

Ensign

sounds like the time I dropped a sway bar from a 75 Monte carlo on my forehead when I was cutting the end links off with a hacksaw while laying in the driveway. :eek:

mthieme

Captain

That sounds painful...hacking through rusty moving links with a hacksaw. Sheer desperation.
Do you have a hot wrench now? or at least something big enough to snap the next pair?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Wow.... That sucks.

What happend is my spare one gallon tank fell on its side and the vent cap came off. As I get up and start moving things around, I realize the spray pain that I used to paint the floors of the dinghy is coming of and going all over my shoes, bag and lie jackets, when I am moving the life jackets, I realize I never actually put my phone in the dry bad and now its swimming in gas.....well I make it back to my boat, take everything off and suck the gass off the floors.

I hope you have learned:

1) Spare gas tanks must be MARINE gas tanks. Then they will never tip over and caps will never accidentally pop off.

2) There is a reason for using marine paint. Its not affected by spilled gas.

3) A cell phone full of gas is a very dangerous thing. Always keep it in a bag.

j_martin

Admiral

My question is--- Did you run out of beer?

saxis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Iphone: Gas evaporated and nothing exploded but I have the rainbow straks of evaporated gas behind the screen that I cant remove.

Does your iPhone still work? I left mine in my pants pocket and ran it through the washing machine, and part of the dry cycle before I figured out what the clunking was. Grrr... I soaked it in alcohol for 45 minutes and let it dry for a week. It turned on, but my screen was shot. Got a new screen for $100 and replaced it myself but found out that both screen and video chip were shot. A new 16GB iPhone ran $300 renewing my 2-year contract, or $500 without. I was only 6 months into my contract so I renewed...

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

Tell you What...
Martin has his head screwed on right,
at lest he still had beer!

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Some days, you just cant stop being stupid, it goes on and on and on...

Yeah, well, at least now you can go to the back of the stupid line and let one of us have our turn. There's plenty of stupid to go around.....

waterinthefuel

Commander

I must say, using a heat gun on something that has gasoline in it ranks pretty high on the stupid meter. Thats about as smart as the thief who was stealing gas at night and used his cig lighter to look down in the tank to see how much gas was in it. Enough to send him to the emergency room, that's for sure.

cribber

Lieutenant

Yeah, well, at least now you can go to the back of the stupid line and let one of us have our turn. There's plenty of stupid to go around.....

Yup... you've had your turn so one of us is up next!!! I'm dreading my turn at the head of the line!!! :eek::eek::eek:

:D

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class

Feast or fammine Folks. That sounds like one of my days. When things go wrong around here I sometimes get the idea that there is a conspiracy aimed at me. LOL. Oh well as bad as things get sometimes they get that good too. I just thank God and try to remember to be thankful for blessings. Dave:cool: