stupid fake fridge

becon776

Cadet
So i bought a 1990 24' VIP vincente and it came with this ridiculous thing in the cuddy. It resembles a mini fridge (in size) but there is no cooling whatsoever. So I guess you would call it an ice box. but it is front loading(swing open door) .... what?? what is the point of it? I can't even put ice in it and treat it like a cooler because it's front loading. So I guess my ? is
a:what the heck am i supposed to do with this thing I mean when the boat was new what was it's purpose? If I could find that out I may use it.

b: how difficult is it to put a ac/dc fridge in aftermarket? As I am sitting here I already know I should have measured before posting. But at a 1990 boat (still in insanely nice shape) I don't know if I can justify $600-700 on a new boat fridge. additional info= boat is dry docked, and the two batteries see a charger twice per season.

c: and of course I will end with my question that I ALWAYS consider... where do the boats go when they die? I mean surely there has to be norcold fridges on older vessels that are ready for the scapyard.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: stupid fake fridge

Post a picture of it....Does it have a drain in the bottom>
Surely at one time it was a working fridge...:confused:

Wingpilot

Cadet

That's just what it is- a vertical cooler. You can stock it with frozen
water bottles or those blue ice thingys to keep your "stuff" cool.
I don't know where you're from (your profile isn't filled out) but we, here in sunny Fla. have a few marine salvage yards where an AC/DC used unit can be bought- rather cheaply, too. However, be prepared for some serious cabinetry work and wiring to retrofit one into that space. Good Luck

a70eliminator

Captain

My friends boat has one like that, he always complains about, ended up having put a stronger latch on it to keep the door from swinging open.

140hpjohnson

Cadet

My first pop up camper had one of these ice boxes. Mine had a tray close to the top with a hose that lead out of the box. You would put a block of ice on the tray and as it melted the water would drain out the hose. Works pretty good as the block of ice would last quite some time. I used it as dry storage cabinet most of the time. Hope this helps.

Tony

becon776

Cadet

yes it does have a drain out of the bottom... It's just like the size of a "mini" fridge except it's just a box with thin aluminum and foam around it.

I live in rochester, ny... upstate right on lake ontario.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

AH yes the good old ice box.
Packet full of frozen or cold drinks, keep the food in the coleman cooler.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Pull it out and turn the space into a place to stash a good carry-on cooler. It's more convenient to use one that you can carry or wheel on and off the boat, rather than load and unload a fixed-in-place unit every trip.

My boat has a 12/110 fridge on it, and we still usually use just the Coleman. It's just more versatile.

My .02

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

On most boats at the entry level "pocket cruiser" market, an "Icebox" is standard, a dual voltage reefer is an option. There are millions of boats out there that were set up that way...

Reel Kahuna

Petty Officer 1st Class

Years ago on my Bayliner Trophy I removed that ice box, built an open face box with shelf compartments and stowed my fishing tackle.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

milk jugs and cartons make great block ice in the freezer at home.... freeze and cut container off when you put it in the boat.... an icebox really isn't all that bad and a block of ice will last a couple days no prob.... keep the bacon, eggs, oj and hotdogs in there and the sodas in a coleman....

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

So i bought a 1990 24' VIP vincente and it came with this ridiculous thing in the cuddy. It resembles a mini fridge (in size) but there is no cooling whatsoever. So I guess you would call it an ice box. but it is front loading(swing open door) .... what?? what is the point of it? I can't even put ice in it and treat it like a cooler because it's front loading. So I guess my ? is
a:what the heck am i supposed to do with this thing I mean when the boat was new what was it's purpose? If I could find that out I may use it.

b: how difficult is it to put a ac/dc fridge in aftermarket? As I am sitting here I already know I should have measured before posting. But at a 1990 boat (still in insanely nice shape) I don't know if I can justify $600-700 on a new boat fridge. additional info= boat is dry docked, and the two batteries see a charger twice per season.

c: and of course I will end with my question that I ALWAYS consider... where do the boats go when they die? I mean surely there has to be norcold fridges on older vessels that are ready for the scapyard.

There, ya see? It's not so ridiculous after all...and it uses no power!

sstaz

Seaman

I recently picked up 73 Reinell hardtop. It had the same thing and was in poor shape. I took it out and had a buddy build me a nice storage set up for it. The coolers will be on the swim platform. Here's some pics...
IMG_0236.jpg

24782_1294731371648_1331222227_3072.jpg

and installed
IMG_0245.jpg