Stuff that's wrong with my Ford....

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: Stuff that's wrong with my Ford....

I've got a 96' Dakota that I absolutely love. I haven't had an issue with it that wasnt self induced or just straight up normal wear and tear. I have heard many a horror story from the years previous to that though. It seems like they perfected it just before they changed body styles. I am not a real huge fan of the most recent body style, but am a fan of their motors and trannys now that mercedes is making them. I have 130,00 on mine, everything is original except the radiator. (obviously air filter and plugs wires etc are new).

hpim0074hi2.jpg

I actually am planning on getting a new truck in the next year or so. I want the same power but better gas mileage. With the extra weight of the 4x4 and the poor gas here I get 16-17 mpg. I have been looking at a lot of stuff, and I REALLY want a GMC Sierra. A good friend as a Colorado and hates it. I havent driven it, but am not a fan of its ride from the passenger seat. My uncle has a new F-150 and he loves it. He's got the 4-door version, and I have to say its very roomy. I drove it last fall while deer hunting and its great......I am just partial to GMC/Chevy.

I will say this...............to keep that Dodge looking like it does after 11 years of snow/rain/salt etc, I am very anal about keeping it washed and waxed. 8)

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pony said:
I am very anal about keeping it washed and waxed. 8)

They have a 12-step program for that now, you know :p

i386

Captain

I had a Dakota the first year they came out with the new body style. It was the first small truck I'd seen that felt like it was actually built like a truck. When you closed the doors it didn't feel like a flap of sheet metal. I bought a 4 cylinder because it was what I could afford at the time. It was very under powered. It (empty) struggled to get up the little hill of my driveway. I also got a single cab so I couldn't recline the seat at all. It was always in a very uncomfortable position. Another annoying thing was the cup holders. They put them at the base of the gear shift (manual). If you had anything in there taller than a coffee cup it got knocked into the floor while shifting into second. Stupid place to put it. Some had a center console, but mine didn't. For the most part though I can't blame Dodge for any of those problems as they were my choice. My friend had one like mine that was an extra cab that had nothing but engine trouble with his. It finally died last year and he did not resuscitate. He did give me his tires though.

If I'd bought the V6 with the extra cab I'd probably still be driving it right now. But now I'm a little tired of the body style and want a 4x4 that sits up a little more.

Pony, I'd appreciate anything else you can tell me about the Colorado.

The same buddy that had the Dakota just bought a new F-150 a couple weeks ago. It's huge inside and rides really smooth. His actually gets better gas mileage than the Montero Sport they traded in. I don't knof if it's true or not but he claims Ford puts most of their quality into their trucks and mustangs.

And yea I'd love to have a new Sierra/Silverado (though the new ones look a little bland to me). The interior pics on the web site with the wood grain look really nice! I'd just know I'd never be able to justify the V8 unless someone wants to donate that bass boat i mentioned eariler. 8)

ZmOz

Captain

This is why I have five pickup trucks...and the newest one is 28 years old. 8) (and none of them are fords! ;) ) They don't have computers, or sensors of any kind. The only electronics are the headlights and starter. Plus I can almost completely disassemble them with just a 9/16 wrench!

I do have one up on blocks waiting for fuel injection, power windows, CD player, GPS, remote start and keyless entry though. :%

Pony

Rear Admiral

They have a 12-step program for that now, you know :p

LMAO. I need a 24 step program I think.

As far as the Colorado goes.....and this is from him and not me since I havent driven it......he just isnt impressed with the thing in general. The suspension is very loud (which I noticed as well), and I there is some wheel hop in corners. He had to replace the tires after 20,000 miles, and already has some rust on the body. I don't think you can unlock the passenger side on his model, but I am not positive on that. From my expirience comfort is my biggest problem. The seats are very vertical, and that is just something I am not used to. He has the single cab, so you cant adjust much. I mean my Dodge isnt something I would want to travel cross country in, but a little 4-5 hr trip is doable.

I wish he would tow something with it, just because it seems like a lot of people who like that truck think it tows well for its size. I am not sure what sort of torque it has.

As far as Dodges go, I really think they are very year specific. I have a feeling I just got lucky. It tows very well. My boat is light but I used to have a heavy glass boat that it had no issues with. Generates lots of torque and handles well in the snow.

Attachments

• hpim0074hi2ht9.jpg
    hpim0074hi2ht9.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 0

flashback

Captain

I have a 2001 gmc 2wd with close to 100,000 miles. all I have ever done is keep up with routine maint... never been in the shop for anything.. I think what I like best tho is the ride.. those capt seats and the suspension make you feel like your in your easy chair. plus it will pull my 3800 # boat with out any problem.. but the mileage drops quite a bit then.......