STUCK!

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer
Re: STUCK!

If this is truly the case, and it is stuck. Why not unbolt the power head and see if you can wiggle it a bit. It may break free. You are going to have to remove it anyway.<br /><br />Mac

Leopoldo

Seaman

Thanks all guys! Good info!<br /><br />My wrench already cut the 2" hole on the leg when I ran into him this morning. He was able to cut the drive shaft below the connection. I pulled that housing minus the powerhead and lower unit into my buddy's welding shop where he heli-arc the 2" hole back onto the leg. Grinded it down and is ready to paint<br /><br />Now going to salvage for a another driveshaft. New they are about $428.00. Salvage is way, way below that. The wrench claimed he has done hundreds of these and I believe him. I certainly bounced all your ideas at him in one way or another this past week. He felt this was the best way under the circumstances. I should have it back by this weekend with new water pump and driveshaft for around a total of $600.00 out of pocket.......L

Originally posted by Leopoldo:<br /> About to change the water pump on a 70 HP 1987 Johnson. Managed to lossen the (4) bolts after heating and some pursuasion. This lower unit hasn't been looked at in some time! Looks like it was run in the salt. The driveshaft won't come apart and free itself so I can further drop the bottom end. What gives here guys? What can a person do to free the driveshaft, STUCK? Also does the drive shaft slip directly into the crankshaft? Thanks for any help on this matter!...........L

Can you drill through the housing, tap for a grease fitting, and hydrualic pressure the shaft out ????<br />I have never done this to an ob, but I've had it work elsewhere.<br /><br />Mark

G DANE

Commander

No I dont think that is possible. If all else fails, my advise would be to dissassemble lower unit and free the driveshaft from it. Pull it up thru waterpump, destroying pump housing. After that you can work on the shaft, I have made a puller for this task once. Worked for mee, on a Chrysler, but most of the time you can do with a sledge hammer, or two pieces of wood - or ??