STUCK!

Leopoldo

Seaman
About to change the water pump on a 70 HP 1987 Johnson. Managed to lossen the (4) bolts after heating and some pursuasion. This lower unit hasn't been looked at in some time! Looks like it was run in the salt. The driveshaft won't come apart and free itself so I can further drop the bottom end. What gives here guys? What can a person do to free the driveshaft, STUCK? Also does the drive shaft slip directly into the crankshaft? Thanks for any help on this matter!...........L

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer
Re: STUCK!

This is a very common mistake. I've made it myselfe! You need to remove the shift rod linkage to drop the motor. Is there another bolt under the zinc you missed?<br /><br />Mac

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

believe there is 1 under the trim tab and 1 in front of it.

v12mac

Chief Petty Officer

4 bolts he missed the one under the zinc, I am not sure what they call it. It has the adjustment if the motor pulls.<br />Mac

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Leopoldo....It does sound like you missed the shift linkage and the bolt under the cavitation plate, after you get those it should drop, in a perfect world, you may need a little more coaxing after that. I would also highly suggest getting a manual to make sure you put that impeller in correctly. Good Luck.

Leopoldo

Seaman

Thanks boys for all your good advice, but it is stuck where the drive shaft connects to the crankshaft. Has anyone heard of drilling a wide section out with a circular hole saw on the outside housing approximately at the connection point of the two, so one can get a plasma cutter into the opening to cut the connection so the lower unit will drop and then we can get at the water pump. Obivously a new driveshaft would have to be installed and the wide hole arced back up.............L

Walker

Captain

I've only cut one in my life. I cut it with one of those "wire" saws. Is a length of wire with diamond grit inbedded in it. I got the lower unit to drop about 1/2" and I cut thru the waterpump housing, screws and driveshaft. Not fun.

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

my seloc manual describes (no better than yourself) just such a procedure

Leopoldo

Seaman

Originally posted by voodoo:<br /> my seloc manual describes (no better than yourself) just such a procedure
Really! what page Voodoo?.........L

G DANE

Commander

Look up an old post named "Screaming at lower unit" lots of good advise in exa. using a sledgehammer. Sure you will get it without cutting.

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Leopoldo, if you do seperate the lower from the upper doing this extreme cut with a plasma cutter how will you extract the driveline out of the bottom of the crank? Sorry, sounds too extremeem. I hope you did a search on the subject. Lots of people had this problem and solved it by using wooden shims, TLC, and lots of penetrating oil and maybe some heat. Just My 2 cents PDS

D

DJ

Something is not right here. If you cut the driveshaft in half, the water pump is the least of your worries.

Leopoldo

Seaman

You guys are great! I have more options now! I can't thank all of you enough for this info. This will give me some more ammunition when I see my wrench tomorrow. Like I said before, he wants to cut the driveshaft to lower the bottom half because he feels it is frozen at the splines (crank to drive) and is impossible to release the two! I am starting to feel desparate since Salmon season is opening at the mouth of the Columbia River Bar here in Oregon!............L<br /><br />BTW: It looks like the drive shaft spline end is the male going into the female opening of the crankshaft! Is that correct?

Bobby D.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Leo,<br />You are correct!<br />BTW: It looks like the drive shaft spline end is the male going into the female opening of the crankshaft!

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Okay, but you've got to remove a total of seven (7) bolts/nuts plus the shift linkage before it'll drop down.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Leopoldo

Seaman

Originally posted by Hooty:<br /> Okay, but you've got to remove a total of seven (7) bolts/nuts plus the shift linkage before it'll drop down.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty
Thanks for chiming in H, but that was the first thing we did! It is stuck at the union of the two big time! Tried other options but feel the need to cut drive shaft in order to drop lower unit...then I can have access to remaining cut driveshaft piece merged together with the crankshaft. Now, only need to replace drive shaft (also the water pump, the whole reason this started in the first place)and I am ready to go. Thanks all.....L

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

All they say is to cut a circular hole large enough to get at the shaft in the tube of a size that you can buy a pre made plug.<br />Try all other methods first.

reeldutch

Lieutenant

if you cut the driveshaft you will have to remove the powerhead with the stuck driveshaft to get the stuck driveshaft out.<br />if you apply heat on the lower crankcase head you have a chance you will get it loose but i would replace the seal in the lower cranckase head because you might have damaged it with the torch.<br />good luck,<br /><br />you will need it.<br /><br />Reeldutch