Stuck Outriggers ...

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Have acquired a set of collapsible Perko outriggers that are stuck. Has anyone had experience with cold shocking stuck/corroded parts with liquid nitrogen? I know about heat, Kroil, PB Blaster, CRC, etc, and if any of that had worked I wouldn't be asking about liquid nitrogen ...
confused.gif

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Stuck Outriggers ...

How did you apply the heat? did you use a propane torch, a mapp gas torch? Are the outriggers aluminum, steel? Of the products you've mentioned in your post, are any of them muriatic or sulfuric acid? Never heard of using liquid nitrogen for that purpose.

sasto

Captain

Aluminum Naval Jelly always worked for me in the past......Good Luck!

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

They're aluminum. Heat was applied gently with a propane spreader tip. Tried PB Blaster daily for 3 weeks, no joy. Same with Kroil for two weeks, still no joy. The problem is thin-walled aluminum that can't take much torque or pressure, so it's extremely difficult to put any muscle into the equation. The liquid nitrogen is for cold shock, and supposedly may fracture the corrosion bond and then allow capillary action infiltration by corrosion busters ... :confused:

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just like the way this read... :p

Yeah, I thought I done good. But the outriggers are still stuck, so I may have to give the nitrogen a try. The most I'll be out is $75 and the cost of the stuff if I destroy the things ... :eek: