Stuck Carb Float - What would happen?

brianmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 76 Merc. 1150... if one of the floats in the carb were stuck, what would happen?<br /><br />Would the engine fire up? If so, would it struggle, then die? Please explain what would happen.<br /><br />Thanks!!<br /><br />Brianmerc

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Stuck Carb Float - What would happen?

It would depend on where it stuck, BM.<br /><br />If it stuck with the needle closed the cylinders it feeds would get no fuel and make no power.<br /><br />If it stuck sunk (open) those cylinders would flood and make little or no power, plus you would probably get fuel running out of the carb.<br /><br />The remaining cylinders would probably fire and idle seemingly okay, but it would fall on its face when a load is applied.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

brianmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, what happens is the engire fires up on the first try, with no problems. Then it will warm up, idling where it should be, then it seems like once it's warmed up, the engine just dies with no warning. It doesn't seem like it's staved for fuel or anything. One minute it's running great, then the next, DEAD!<br /><br />From that point on, the engine won't start again the rest of the day. It will turn over, but never fire up and run.<br /><br />The next day I can go and fire it up, and the SAME thing happens again! It will run for a couple of minutes, then it will die.<br /><br />What do you think is going on?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm. it would probably have saved a bunch of time if you had told us that up front, Brian.<br /><br />Have you checked it for spark after it quits?<br /><br />If your ignition system has a heat failure you would get those symptoms.<br /><br />Check for spark after it quits. If it has spark, squirt some fuel into the carbs and see if that makes it start.<br /><br />Let us know what you find, and good luck. :)

brianmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm pretty new to boating and repair... so first things first.<br /><br />What is "spark"? And this "spark" is in the ignition?<br /><br />Next, how do I squirt the fuel into the carbs? With the priming bulb? Won't that flood the engine?<br /><br />Sorry I don't know more boating terms. Thanks!<br /><br />Brian

Clams Canino

Commander

Check for "spark" by pulling a plug out and then hooking it back to the plug wire. Ground the threaded area of the plug to anywhere solid metal (like the engine block) and have someone else turn the key. The plug should spark at the tip.<br /><br />If it does not you have some sort of ignition issues, like JB said.<br /><br />If it *does* spark, then take a littl eof your gas/oil mix and spray it directly into the throats of the carbs (all 3) and see if it tries to start.<br /><br />Lastly what is the "history" on this motor? Tell us everything you know about it's past operating characteristics, storage , etc etc.<br /><br />-W

brianmerc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, okay cool. I will have to try doing that this weekend. Thanks!<br /><br />Storage history... well, it was garaged and kept nice and clean, until I started owning it in 2002. Since then, it has been stored outside with a tarp over it. I am in So. California, so we don't have a lot of rain or snow. Just sun.<br /><br />It ran fine the whole time I owned it, until a few months ago when this problem started. I didn't get to use the boat AT ALL this summer. It sucked!!!<br /><br />Thanks for your feedback & ifo.<br /><br />Brian