Stripped Anode Bolt

Blowboat

Recruit
OK, you all were very kind and helpful to a previous question. And as a newbie to doing maintenance on an outboard I am so appreciative. So...I'm back with one more question.

We have an 8 hp Yachtwin (by Evinrude)...maybe late 80's. We bought our sailboat in October and I've been working on getting it ready ever since...and we are SO close. Just one more thing I want to do: change the anode. The problem is that the bolt/screw is wanting to strip out. I have sprayed it several times with WD-40 (it's what I have on hand) but no luck. I have a manual impact screwdriver...though after trying it I now have one less bit. I applied some heat to it. So far...nothing.

Any suggestions?20230511_193302.jpg

airshot

Rear Admiral
Drill with a left hand drill bit, as it drills the bit may grab the screw and unthread it....if not, the a complete drill out and retap might be needed, looks pretty corroded. Spray it down good with penetrating oil before starting.

Blowboat

Recruit
Thanks! I actually feeling very fortunate...earlier I went out and shot it up again with PB Blaster and went at it again with my manual impact screwdriver...and it budged! Then slowly it came out!

My next step was as you described as above! 20230512_211831.jpg

MasonK.

Recruit
Hi, here are a few suggestions:
Try using a penetrating oil like PB Blaster or Kroil. These oils can help to loosen the bolt and make it easier to remove.
Use a breaker bar to increase your leverage. A breaker bar is a long, heavy bar that attaches to a socket. It can provide a lot of torque, which can help break free a stubborn bolt.
If the bolt is still stripped, you may need to drill it out. This is a last resort, but it may be the only way to remove the bolt.

I hope these suggestions help you successfully change the anode on your outboard motor. Best of luck with the final preparations for your sailboat, and if you have any more questions along the way, feel free to ask!