Striper.

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Striper.

... and y'all have a limit of 2 per person, right?

Our limit for stocked landlocked Striped Bas is 2 over 16", but you can have 28 more under 16" on most lakes. We do have 1 lake that has a self-sustaining population of Striped Bass and the limit on that lake is 30 of any size... but the lake is too shallow for them to get more than 20 lbs., the problem with most of our lakes. but we do have 2 lakes where the Stripers are nearing 50 lbs.

Thats crazy. I fish rivers and the bay for striper and ours is 18 inch minimum and the quota is 2.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

... and y'all have a limit of 2 per person, right?
Depends on where you're at. In the Ocean, there is no closed season and the limit is two fish per day, 28" minimum.

In the Chesapeake, Striper season runs from the third week in April thru December 15. The Spring season (third week in April to May 30one fish,)it's one fish oper day, 32" minimum. From May 30 to December 15, its two fish per day, 18" minimum, only one fish can be over 28".

In the summer its tough getting that over 28" fish. In the winter its tough getting that under 28” fish.

QUOTE=jigngrub;3585626We do have 1 lake that has a self-sustaining population of Striped Bass and the limit on that lake is 30 of any size... but the lake is too shallow for them to get more than 20 lbs., the problem with most of our lakes. [/QUOTE]

I don't understand how the depth of the lake limits growth. The average depth of the Bay is only 21 ft and a large pecentage of it is less than 6 ft. deep.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I don't understand how the depth of the lake limits growth. The average depth of the Bay is only 21 ft and a large pecentage of it is less than 6 ft. deep.

Your "bay" fish are sea-run Stripers and can go back and forth to and from the ocean and escape the uncomfortable warm waters of summer.

Our Stripers are landlocked in a lake with a dam at both ends and no fish ladders or anything like that. In the heat of summer it's not uncommon for the surface temp in out lakes to reach the mid 90's. The Stripers go deep to find comfortable water where no other fish or bait are and will nearly starve themselves to death instead of enduring the heat for food. By the end of the summer they look like torpedoes they're so skinny. This inhibits their growth.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Your "bay" fish are sea-run Stripers and can go back and forth to and from the ocean and escape the uncomfortable warm waters of summer.

While the adults follow the schools of bunker up the coast in the Spring and back down in the winter, the juveniles do not leave the Bay until they are 4-5 years of age, ~20-24” in length. We also have large populations of “resident” fish that never leave the Bay and they have no problem dealing with water temps in the upper 80's to low 90's in the summer. In fact, it's common to find them chasing bait on the surface in the middle of the day so I don’t buy the too warm theory.

Stripers are voracious eaters. I suspect that the food supply in your lakes is inadequate to support a large population of big fish.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

[QUOTE/]Stripers are voracious eaters. I suspect that the food supply in your lakes is inadequate to support a large population of big fish.[/QUOTE]

Fishing for stocked striper in lakes is like hunting deer in the city. Hahahaha. Actually, I do most of my striper fishing in inland lakes due to the fact that I am less than an hour from one, and just over an hour from another.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Our Stripers are landlocked in a lake with a dam at both ends and no fish ladders or anything like that. In the heat of summer it's not uncommon for the surface temp in out lakes to reach the mid 90's. The Stripers go deep to find comfortable water where no other fish or bait are and will nearly starve themselves to death instead of enduring the heat for food. By the end of the summer they look like torpedoes they're so skinny. This inhibits their growth.

Yessir. This is true at Lake Anna as well. The fish have very odd patterns due to the temperature changes across the lake. Certain times in the season you catch them in the mouths of creeks, and other times 35-40 foot depths. Hell, in the middle of the summer, we catch em in the creeks in the morning, and deep down in the afternoon. There are "transitional" stages, where the fish go down deep to keep cool, and then have to come up higher to the more oxygenated water. Maaaannnnn, on those days, they are hard as a caveman's skull to locate on the 'ol fish finder.....