Stringers

SS MoneyPit

Cadet
I am on a tight budget and don't know how to fiberglass. I have taken out the rotten stringers and they were 1x's. What can I use to affix them to the hull of the boat. I am new to this boat building deal and any help would be appreciative. Thanks.

JGREGORY

Lieutenant
Re: Stringers

SS Sounds Like you and I are in the same boat sort of, I don't want to spend a whole lot of money but I want the job done as good as possible.<br /><br />First get the book Runabout Renovation that will answer some of you most basic questions.<br /><br />Next, You have found the best site on the web for project boat building Take a look at the Jason's project (2 different Jason's).<br /><br />As for cost you will have a lot of people talking about Epoxy resins, While they are strong and will last go with polyester resins if your concerned about money, My own situation I only plan on holding onto the boat for 5-10 years leaning toward 5 before I move up. <br /><br />I spent about $250 @ uscomposites.com for foam resin. Still need to spend about another $100 for Cab-O-Sil and other items, the Cab-O-Sil mixed with the resin creates a paste that holds the stringer into place so that you can glass the stringer in place.<br /><br />See here also for good ideas to do what need to be done with out building a battleship.<br /><br />specifically what Snapperbait is saying.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=001621 <br /><br />Good Luck and welcome to the boards.

SS MoneyPit

Cadet

Can I apply a fiberglass resin w/hardner without putting down a mat over the stringers. Reason I am asking is that the middle stringer has sometype of hardner that is clear. I didn't know what it was. Thanks.

phatmanmike

Captain

jasonJ did his ENTIRE project with resin, ! he used nothing but the cheep stuff, and people praise his work, epoxy is great stuff, but.....$$$$$$$$$

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Al you have to remember is that the boat was originally built with poly resin and it lasted this long. Rebuilding with poly, as long as it is done as close to right as possible, will yeild as good if not better than original, and if cared for will last as long as you need it to. Epoxy rocks, it is the way to go if the wallet allows. My project was a deliberate venture to see just how cheap it could be done, but be warned, I still have over $3000 in it, so it is all a matter of perspective. Granted, probably half of that is in extra gadgety accessory stuff that had nothing to do with the rebuild, but still, its amazing how it all adds up. While I am enjoying the Beast, I have an eye out for an aluminum hull, somewhere in the 18-19 foot range. That would be a rebuild to a completely wood free condition, so I wouldn't have to worry quite as much. I have a friend that was given a 19 foot aluminum Starcraft with twin running 35 horse Evinrudes. He put a new paint job, carpet, and seats and now has a rockin' boat for nothing. I envy him....

phatmanmike

Captain

jason, envy is one of the 7 deadly you know whats.... :p so when you die, can i have the beast?

Realgun

Commander

See Jason you have boat envy. There is no cure but remember this, every person here has read your posts on the beast and have probaly wanted to drive it, touch it, etc...besides I thought you loved your beast like a son. :D Were you not going to keep it forever?<br /><br />Get douglas fir for stringers and epoxy them to the hull with cabosil/epoxy paste. Cover with1 layer of cloth, 6oz is fine really, and epoxy them twice. It will be better than original.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

I'm with you on this one JasonJ :) MY 22' starcraft<br />is 98% AL... will never have to worry bout stringers.<br />only wood aboard is floor (28yrs old and solid as <br />a rock) and the inside of the transom which is<br />completely covered by AL skin outside (also perfect)<br />and... AL hulls are MUCH lighter than glass, <br />which keeps HP required and fuel costs way low.<br />call me a convert :p <br />M.Y.