stringers / foam / waterlogged

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello, I am the one with the 1978 galaxie 22xl that you have all graciously given me advice. One issue I wanted to address was the suggestion of waterlogged stringers.

My boat I believe has carburation problems that are keeping me from getting full rpm at wot. I have now decided thru process of elimination that I have to be running lean.

One person suggested that I could have waterlogged stringers and wet foam adding 1000 lbs to the boat. I know the boat seems to be in very good condition, but I was wondering how do I look and see if the stringers are waterlogged.

Also, I have read on here that there should be holes to allow the stringers to drain water in to the bilge area, is that correct? I do not see any holes in my bilge area that would allow water to drain from the inside of the boat in to the bilge area?

Do I need to pull the carpet and start cutting holes to see this? How do I figure this out? This seems to be an issue that I would like to lay to rest before I spend anymore money trying to increase performance.

Help???

Thanks again!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: stringers / foam / waterlogged

Moving this over to the Restoration forum. This one is for engine and drive problems, you will get a lot better help there.

leerocks

Cadet

What about taking to a highway truck scale?

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

One person suggested that I could have waterlogged stringers and wet foam adding 1000 lbs to the boat. I know the boat seems to be in very good condition, but I was wondering how do I look and see if the stringers are waterlogged.

To Check the Foam pull back the carpet and use a hole saw and keep the wood you cut out so you can use it to plug the floor. Get a piece of PVC pipe and cut some teeth into one end. put into the foam under your deck teeth side first twisting back and forth until you hit the hulll.. remove your core sample of foam.. Examine the foam.. You should do this in varies places.

Also, I have read on here that there should be holes to allow the stringers to drain water in to the bilge area, is that correct? I do not see any holes in my bilge area that would allow water to drain from the inside of the boat in to the bilge area?

Drainage is very important as water trapped and no place to go is the main reason that you see so many deck, stringer and transom repairs. They are referred to as weeping holes. Not all boats have them. if you redo the boat you can add them.

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok, im kinda freaking out about this. I know the area in front of the motor seems soft, i am sure there is an issue there, the rest seems ok, should i just get the boat running well, and use it for the summer, and then late summer start fixing some of the soft area?

I have taken the boat out three times after I bought it, it seems to perform well other than the motor being on the lean side.

I only paid 2500.00 for the boat, the local dealer said i could sell the hull for 2500.00 alone if it floats, but i got the trailer, the boat with 8k worth of receipts that they had done over the last few years.

They had put a new crate motor, outdrive rebuild, new upolstery, new carpet, new gauges, paint, gel coat, 5 blade stainless prop, etc.

Just wondering about the foam and the wood. That is the only thing that I wonder about.

What do you think about using it over the spring and summer, and then tackling the floor? I really want to tow my kids around the lake soon.

Thanks for all the help!!!

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

ok, im kinda freaking out about this. I know the area in front of the motor seems soft, i am sure there is an issue there, the rest seems ok, should i just get the boat running well, and use it for the summer, and then late summer start fixing some of the soft area?

If the area in front of the motor seems soft then the stringers under are soft and this will probably mean that your motor mounts are soft. As a captain of a boat remember saftey first especially if its your children on boat with you.

you could get a whole summer out of the boat the way it is.. there have been people that have layed new floors over the old and extend their boating a few more years.

the worry.. if you have an I/O and your motor mounts are soft they could let go and you could get engine twist which will open up your transom to a big hole which will sink you.

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well here goes, I went over and pulled the cover off the boat and inspected the floor.

The area to store skis in looks really good actually. The soft spot is right behind that area, there is room for water to drain in the back of the ski area.

The other soft spots are on each side of the motor, where the two back passengers would sit. There are two places to put batteries, one on each side of the motor. Directly in front where your feet would go are the soft areas.

What do you think?? I have had the boat out three times like I said, and everything seems fine, the motor mount areas look solid. Am I overreacting to this?? I want to be safe, it seems like it should be just the flooring maybe is soft, doesnt seem like stringers would be waterlogged, the main one running down the center is completely covered with thick fiberglass.

I have been told that these boats were really built well. Real strong and real heavy. I am just hoping that any wood that is waterlogged might just be the flooring

What do you all think??

Thanks again for all the help!!!!

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

not to scare you, but mine looked ok when i quick glanced it over. further inspection by coring some samples showed my transom is wet and one stringer is as well. mine sat on a trailer outside for 10 years and the deck is fine, but areas that held water are not and the further i looked the more revealing the damage was. So, I feel your worry and would encourage you to look further. I hope its all good.

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, so should I core then in front of the motor, and on both sides to see what the deal is? Since the boat is a closed bow, the only areas that are open to the elements is from the dash back, probably the back half of the boat, maybe 10 feet or so.

Do I need to remove the seating on both sides, driver, passenger side and core up towards the dash as well???

Also, if I have damage, what kinds of costs are involved with replacing stringers and flooring? I am very handy, so I would think I could do most of it myself.

Please advise! Thanks for all of your help, this site is the greatest!

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, so should I core then in front of the motor, and on both sides to see what the deal is?
The most important thing is to know where things are under your deck. The area if front of the motor that you are describing is where a gastank will be if it is an under deck model.

Do you have acess to the sides of a motor mount via the bilge? If so thats your best bet Like 83mulligan said.. I thought my motor mounts were fine until i drilled in and out came what resembled potting soil.

My inspection hole:
PC200010.jpg

Results:
PC200009.jpg

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Also, if I have damage,
If its soft then you have damage. you have to determine how much.

Also, if I have damage, what kinds of costs are involved with replacing stringers and flooring?

Price fluctuates based on where you live and how easily you can access resin and glass aswell as how much wasted material you have being that this is your first attempt. Also my estimate is for an open bow

estimate: 1,000 to 1,500
wood, glass , resin, rollers, mixing cups, mixing sticks, respirator, tvex suit, grinder, gloves etc.

mh11

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the good thing is there are two gas tanks, one on each side of the boat think each one holds approx 25 gallons

I could drill holes into the motor mounts via the bilge, that is no problem doing it like the pics that were posted. Is that what I should do?

Dumb question, what are the motor mounts made of, just wood???

Think what i will do is remove the trim pump since it needs to be tightened up anyways since it leaks at the base, and up at the reverse lock, I will do that, unscrew the battery boxes on both sides, remove the seating, and pull the carpet up and see what we have.

Does this sound like the proper way to go about this??? I would like to just get this spring and summer the way it is, and start work at the end of the summer.

Please advise. Thank you

92excel

Chief Petty Officer

Dumb question, what are the motor mounts made of, just wood???
The ones i have scene were just timber 6 x 6 for example that are encased in glass.. so if they are rotted like mine in the pics..
all you have is the glass left holding the motor. definetly drill a core sample out of the motor mount and see what you have.