stringer wet bilge?

user-name

Petty Officer 2nd Class
77 stringer New transom seal 5200 around seal&hull , 5200 in the screw holes, wire brushed the intermediate housing clean I just clamped the seal to it no sealant. shift wire does not leak

Im still getting water in the hull. what am I doing wrong?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
where is the water coming in from?

if there was a lot of corrosion around your intermediate, you may have to do more than wire-brushing. you may have to re-finish.

also, a sealant is a must between the hull and gasket (I suggest 4200), and between the intermediate housing and gasket (I have used both Permatex #3 as well as 3M weatherstriping adhesive)

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ives/542283-transom-seal-replacement?t=529233

user-name

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Scott

I cant see the leak no way can I stick my face in there.

and between the intermediate housing and gasket (I have used both Permatex #3 as well as 3M weatherstriping adhesive)

Thats were I was going next.

Strange thing is I have 3 spare IH and neither have any evidence of any sealant on the seal groove. ( Hose Clamp ) go figure.

[h=1][/h]

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use your cell phone to get in there and take pictures

is this an OEM seal or aftermarket?

user-name

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thought about the cell phone.

OEM seal.

Strange thing again Not one thread or posting that I've read says to use sealant on the hose clamp end not even the OMC service manual.

Charging the DeWalt battery at this moment I'll have the seal R&R in a little while. Seams like I do things twice just to do it right. :embarassed: :lol: