Stringer rotten

RDN

Cadet
I bought a 1979 terry bass boat and the back middle stringer at transom is rotten. I cut out the plywood on top of stringers by going through the two rear hatches to get to the stringers. Is there a good way to repair the stringer without taking the back top off boat off we’re the hatches are.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, there is no way to tell IMO. Can you reach everything you need to grind out to fix the stringer? If so, the cap can stay on.

Unfortunately, a rotten stringer is usually the indicator of other rotten structural components.

If you keep the cap on, and the transom need replacement, it usually means the transom may need to be replaced from the outside.
Have you checked other stringers and the transom? It is not likely it is isolated to the single stringer.

RDN

Cadet
Yes the transom is gone. In fact all the wood vacuumed out and I’m going to put carbon core in it since it is completely empty of all wood just the core of fiberglass. I’m sure some people will not agree that this is the best route. I would have cut the front out to get to all wood but I was able to get everything but of wood out which was just mush. I used a camera that I could feed down and looked all over and it’s just an empty shell. I guess I could cut the cap off but I was trying to avoid that since it means a lot of precise attachments.

RDN

Cadet
Is there anyone who has procedures for removing cap and attaching it back so it will be as strong as be removing. Thanks, new to this but have replaced a rotten transom before and fiberglass it back in , but didn’t gel coat or paint because I wasn’t worried about the way it looked. I want to make this look as good as I can.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Remove rubrail insert. Remove screws. Cut the sealant . Remove cap.

RDN

Cadet
Thanks I’m going to try and cut the back of cap maybe 2 foot from transom forward. I have no place to shelter boat or way to hook pulleys above boat . I’m going to see if I can get to the stringers and then cut floor in front of boat to check the stringers there. Thanks for all fellow boaters help.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Some boats of that era used the air space between the hull and the deck (floor) as the flotation device. As the boats got older water would find its way into that space (BTDT). I was boating when Terry was popular around here and they weren't top of the line bass boats (opinion based on experience including next door neighbor had one....15' with front seat and rear seat, stick steering usually had 35 hp engine). If you have a stringer damaged, expect the worst including transom and plywood of the deck degradation.

Mad Dog 2

Seaman Apprentice
There are U Tube videos and online info that show different methods to repair the transom. I have seen articles were the transom cap is removed, the rotted wood core is removed between the fiberglass skin a new piece is fitted and then a generous amount of expoy is used to bed and install the new core.
With a old boats before you start a major project you need to do a survey as you have done (transom, stringer and etc).
Do a rough calculation of material cost, your labor hours and 10 to 30% over run.
What is the boat value now, value after repairs and replacement cost?
There is a glut of used boats for sale some are in good shape for short money.

RDN

Cadet
Thanks , it’s 18 foot and has a steering column. It has a 75 horse on it. It has styrofoam for flotation. Back near transom it water logged so will remove that. Plan on opening up all flooring. I figured I will find stringers will be rotten there to . Already bought most of supplies. Paid 800 for boat with a nice trailer and motor. Spent 1000 on supplies already with most of that for carbon core which was around 700 including shipping. So Already invested in it. I like to work on projects so no problem there. Just need advice on different aspects of project. Thanks to everyone for there advice.

RDN

Cadet
Found someone had put 2x6 and 2x8 on each side of stringers. Tore all of that out and dug out most of the water logged styfoam. Still have a way to go before I get to stringers. We don’t hav we wood wide enough for middle stringer . We do have what they call white wood which is white pine in that width but don’t know if it’s strong enough for stringers. If anyone could comment on that wood be appreciated. Lowes carries exterior ply wood but not marine grade. Any thoughts about that . Thanks for everyone’s help.

Attachments

• IMG_8084.jpeg
    IMG_8084.jpeg
  • IMG_8082.jpeg
    IMG_8082.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8114.jpeg
    IMG_8114.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_8117.jpeg
    IMG_8117.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 20

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Exterior grade plywood is fine. If you need something thicker than what your local store carries, you can laminate sheets together using Titebond III any kind of exterior-rated construction adhesive (e.g., PL Premium).

RDN

Cadet
Thanks so much. I’ve enjoyed working on the boat . Although it looks like is going to be months of work lol.

RDN

Cadet
Thanks so much. I’ve enjoyed working on the boat . Although it looks like is going to be months of work lol.
So I poured the transom and it turned out great. Solid as a rock. Took two 5 gallon buckets of carbon core liquid transom. Noo ok w I need to repair stringers. The fiberglass is solid but I cut top of one stringer open and it has rotten core. I can easily scrap out and vacuum it. Since the fiberglass is a form of stringer would pouring with the liquid carbon core work. It’s seems it would be alot less work and not so dusty from all the grinding of fiberglass.

RDN

Cadet
Thanks . One reason I was thinking I would pour it , is because I’ve hurt my left shoulder. It’s been two weeks and it hasn’t got better. A trip to dr I guess. I’m 65 years old so not as young as I use to work hard all day. Ugh

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
When I hurt my shoulder badly earlier this year, after about 2 weeks it stopped getting better on it's own. I went to a walk-in clinic and they proscribed one of those 6 day steroid packs. That provided much healing, and when I was able to get an appt with an orthopedist 2 weeks later, he simply gave me a shot of cortisone. That fixed it. Normally I would have gone to my GP, but they charge double or more than the walk-in place, and they are not walk in.

RDN

Cadet
Thinks that is encouraging. I was hoping it wasn’t going to be surgery. I’ve already had surgery on that shoulder 15 years ago . It was microscopic , so wasn’t that bad , it’s just the down time. Thanks for suggesting the videos they are helpful.