Stringer rot and Partial floor replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grampagrumpy

Recruit
Hi guys
not knowing what to do for this.
we have a 1996 Campion Alante 565. Great little boat except for finding soft floor. Starboard stringer is totally gone. Floor is totally rotted. Goes from windshield to stern. Cannot get underneath the deck part at the stern to check further. I think the motor mount stringer is ok. Obviously when the boat was built the hull was completed with floor and carpeting before the deck was dropped into it. My problem is access to remove all the rot. To separate the deck from the hull is out of the question. I certainly don’t want to scrap the boat. Bought it for the grandkids entertainment. Now don’t know what to do. Had a quote sight unseen of $8000.00. We live in Vernon B.C.
Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard

second, the floor is always the last thing to rot after the stringers, which is after the transom

third, you can rebuild it, or you can scrap it. that is up to you. should you choose to rebuild it, we can help.

all items in the boat need to be removed, a cradle is built for the hull, motor and drive comes out, the cap comes off. then you put on the PPE and fire up the tools and cut everything out to the outside skin and rebuild.

$8000 for someone to do the work (seams a bit low), or $5000 for you to do the work yourself. that is up to you.

go to this sticky https://forums.iboats.com/threads/how-tos-and-other-great-information.283508/ and read links 14, 15, 18, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b in their entirety if you choose to do the work yourself.

Grampagrumpy

Recruit
first, welcome aboard

second, the floor is always the last thing to rot after the stringers, which is after the transom

third, you can rebuild it, or you can scrap it. that is up to you. should you choose to rebuild it, we can help.

all items in the boat need to be removed, a cradle is built for the hull, motor and drive comes out, the cap comes off. then you put on the PPE and fire up the tools and cut everything out to the outside skin and rebuild.

$8000 for someone to do the work (seams a bit low), or $5000 for you to do the work yourself. that is up to you.

go to this sticky https://forums.iboats.com/threads/how-tos-and-other-great-information.283508/ and read links 14, 15, 18, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b in their entirety if you choose to do the work yourself.
Hi Scott.
Thank you for your reply.
I have an interesting dilemma on my hands. Definitely can’t split the deck/hull. I think the lesson learned is buyer beware. We have only had the boat 2 years. When I took it apart the rear starboard floor had been Mickey moused very recently. Sad mess. Unfortunate that people will risk lives just to make a sale. The rest of the boat is in good shape for the year. It has a 4.3 which has been no trouble.
I guess I will have to drill into the rear stringer ( motor mount) and check it before I go any further.
Again thank you

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I guess I will have to drill into the rear stringer ( motor mount) and check it before I go any further.
Again thank you
no need to bother. if the floor is soft, the stringers have long since rotted. it is this way, 999,999,999 out of 1,000,000,000 boats

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep ^^^ esp w less then substantial as you said: mickey mouse deck (floor) repairs

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I am curious why you think you cannot split the cap and the hull. Is there not a rub rail that runs around the perimeter of the boat?

Grampagrumpy

Recruit
I am curious why you think you cannot split the cap and the hull. Is there not a rub rail that runs around the perimeter of the boat?
Just the weight of the deck. I know to do it properly it should be split. I feel it is a bit too much for me to handle. 19’ bow rider.
yes it has a rub rail. The deck cap probably weighs a ton.

Grampagrumpy

Recruit
I will be replacing a partial floor in a 1996 Campion Allante bowrider. Question. Can I screw the floor to the existing stringers. Haven’t removed the old floor yet so have no idea as to what holds it down other than glassed to the hull. I cannot get to the hull.
Supposed to split the hull/deck. Well I cannot do that so I have to do it another way.
Thank you for the support.

Attachments

• 48BDA227-AB48-4C2A-B397-4E44C47E02F4.jpeg
    48BDA227-AB48-4C2A-B397-4E44C47E02F4.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
  • BF6F152C-0252-420F-8A67-E0ACC9F24E18.jpeg
    BF6F152C-0252-420F-8A67-E0ACC9F24E18.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 15

sdowney717

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just the weight of the deck. I know to do it properly it should be split. I feel it is a bit too much for me to handle. 19’ bow rider.
Can you replace the boat with another for the cost of the repair? Or not much more.
Make sure another one has no rot, get someone to do a hull survey to look for those things?
Is it worth spending that much on it?

Another consideration, lost time... while your fixing the boat. Which you also might not be able to finish.

hugh g

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been there. It's a tough call. $8000 is a lot of money to spend on a 25 yr old boat but, considering the price of boats these days it may be worth it if you plan on keeing it. Doing it yourself is a lot of work even for guys who have been around boats for years. Plan on a few months for a total gut/rebuild & you'll still be digging deep into your wallet for materials. Your only other option is to pull the drive, engine, gut it & sell off anything you can including the trailer on FB, CL, ebay & use the money for a down payment on another boat. Good luck.

Chris51280

Ensign
you can screw into the existing stringers. depending if there is any solid wood left.
Plenty of info in this forum. read the stickies on how to's

hugh g

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will be replacing a partial floor in a 1996 Campion Allante bowrider. Question. Can I screw the floor to the existing stringers. Haven’t removed the old floor yet so have no idea as to what holds it down other than glassed to the hull. I cannot get to the hull.
Supposed to split the hull/deck. Well I cannot do that so I have to do it another way.
Thank you for the support.
If the floor is rotted then so are the stringers & possibly the transom.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
here is the issue. the stringers and transom long rotted prior to the floor.

so if your floor looks like the mulch in the picture, your stringers and transom rotted years prior.

at the top of the forum are the stickies. 4th down is the DIY. go there, read links 14, 15, 18, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b in their entirety, read every post, look at every picture and video.

Campion535

Recruit
here is the issue. the stringers and transom long rotted prior to the floor.

so if your floor looks like the mulch in the picture, your stringers and transom rotted years prior.

at the top of the forum are the stickies. 4th down is the DIY. go there, read links 14, 15, 18, 2, 3, 4a, and 4b in their entirety, read every post, look at every picture and video.
I’m new to the forum having just joined. I have a campion that has a soft floor and transom. I was keen to look at the notations you outlined but don’t understand “stickies” I’ve gone to the to and looked around in the drop boxes and can’t find any DIY sections. Thanks.

MODERATOR EDIT: Please review the forum rule about posting to old threads. Feel free to start a new thread about your Campion structural issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.