Stringer Repair ?--Doesn't Look Like the Book

Rhadley

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've accessed the keel stringer and instead of a rectangular shaped stringer ( fiberglass covering a 3/4 thick pine board), it looks like the foam was blown in before the fiberglass cured. The glass bows out in various areas so the stringer is sometimes about 1" wide, sometimes about 3". Sometimes the glass touches the wood and sometimes it only touches foam.<br /><br />I dug out most of the old wood, leaving the curvy glass sides with foam, and some very thin wood along the sides. Question is, should I remove the entire stringer down to the hull? Or can I just put the new wood into the old cavity, fill voids with epoxy, then glass over all? It won't be pretty, but it would be just as strong as before. <br /><br />I'm starting to think the construction doesn't really matter much as long as it isn't too weak.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stringer Repair ?--Doesn't Look Like the Book

"I'm starting to think the construction doesn't really matter much as long as it isn't too weak."<br /><br />That is probably the attitude the manufacturer took Rhadley. Now it's your turn to show us how it should be done. ;)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

If it's worth doing, then it's worth doing right! :cool:

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Take it to the hull and lay up the glass properly. Its not that bad to do, and the peace of mind is more than worth it. Good luck...