Stringer Measurements

bassmani

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All,<br />I have been reading this forum for about 2 months now, trying to learn. Extreme Novice on the boat construction thing.<br /><br />Installing new floor in 1983 ProCraft Bass Boat. Not <br />to much of a floor about 48 in wide by 64 inches long. Tore the old floor out, removed everthing in the floor guide. Stringers were rotted, etc.<br /><br />Problem i have is measurement in the height and cut of the stringers. I tried to measure the old stringers as a base, but that screwed me up.<br /><br />There are four stringers that run from the back to the front of the boat. 1 stringer on each side and other 2 stringers in center of boat as the main drain. 7 inches seperate side and center stringers on each side and 13 inches separate the center stringers. That's about all i have in dimensions. stringer height is constant till it get;s toward the console area and this it dips as the hull dips and then comes back up. front part of the hull bends and then lays straight towards the back. <br /><br />I do know the stringers on the outside need to be higher and not level so water can drain torwards the middle. front to back drain is no big deal as the front part of the boat is higher. Meets the <br />2% drop for water to drain.<br /><br />I am having a hard time getting the stringers meausured up on the "when it bends part".<br /><br />Looking for the best way to figure it out as well as how to cut. Do i keep the cut part of the stringer on the bottom and always keep the top part of the stringer the uncut part. I am assuming the uncut stays on top so the floor can lay flat. Also, i am trying to figure out if i can put the floor in on one piece or multiple pieces. The floor has to fit under a groove that is around the floor. There are no cross member boards in this boat and the width of the stringers are 3/4 inch. If i did multiple pieces of the floor will a 3/4 inch stringer support 2 pieces of <br />plywood on the same stringer (sort of like hanging <br />2 pieces of sheet rock on the same stud.<br /><br />any assistance would be great or any tricks on getting it right. <br /><br />p.s. i just don't see how it's possible to get one piece of wood in as the angle to get it in is too high as there is a front and back deck and it has to fit under the grooves.<br /><br />thanks and if you read this long winded post, even more thanks.

crab bait

Captain
Re: Stringer Measurements

this couldn't be more confusin'..<br /><br />i'll help wher i can..<br /><br />i never liked the '3/4 ply only' stringer..<br />i like to take 4 strips of 3/4 x 1 1/2 .. an glue/screw-sandwich the top an bottom of stringer with the strips as per quazi-I beam..<br /><br />give better glue surface to hull an floor an way increases strenght..<br /><br />an the stringer doesn't have to be all one lenght.. cut where want to .. then join via 2) 16 in long scab/splicing sandwich splints shared half way ( 8 in/8 in )