Stringer, floor, and transom repair on 19' I/O open bow Renken

pdm14269

Recruit
Hi guys i am new to the site but i have been reading a lot of your posts. I work on cars for a living doing mechanical and body work but i am doing something that i have never done before. I am in the process of a big project here on my 19" renken and i want to make sure i do it right and do it once. I took out the floor from the dash back to the transom and removed all the stringers because they were rotted badly. I am going to use 1" wide wood for the stringers and and 1/2" bc plywood for the layers of the transom. I am finding a lot of conflicting info about what weight and kind of fiberglass to use with the epoxy resin. After I cut the stringers to fit should i wrap them with a real thin layer of epoxy and cloth or is epoxy only good enough. Should i use 1/2" or 3/4" for the floor and should i coat both sides with epoxy and glass and if so what weight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stringer, floor, and transom repair on 19' I/O open bow Renken

Normally you rebuild the stringers and floor with about the same amount of glass and wood it came with originally, But since you plan to use epoxy you can reduce the amount of glass slightly (about 1/3). The wood will be the same.

You can get away with just coating the bottom of the plywood floor, but you should use a layer of 10 oz cloth on the top side to help with durability.

You don't need to wrap the stringers in glass prior to setting them in place. Some people do it, but it adds a great deal of time and labor and doesn't really add any benefits. It is sometimes more common as boats get bigger though.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Stringer, floor, and transom repair on 19' I/O open bow Renken

Welcome to iBoats!
Is there a reason you're going with Epoxy? You are aware your boat is made from Polyester Resin and you can effect great repairs using poly and it's alot less expensive. A little more work and a LOT more Stinky but as I said easier on the wallet. Just curious.:confused:
If the transom is the standard 2" you could use 2-3/4" layers with a 1/2" layer sandwiched in between. You can use Regular Titebond III wood glue to fabricate it. 100% waterproof and will never delam. Wood screw it together and remove the screws the next day. Fill the screw holes with Thickened resin when you install it. The first link in my signature below has drawings and info on how to fabricate and install stringers, decks, and transoms. Might be of some help to you.

WelcomeAboard.jpg