Stress cracks - trailer tires?

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I see cracks all the way around my trailer tires, not large cracks but small ones. The thread is in great shape, I guess its from having a load on them during storage? Maybe from sitting in the sun? Anyway, I'm debating whether to replace them or not. Hate to replace them as like I said, thread is in great shape. I put about 500 miles on them a year, round trip to the lake is about that and I leave the boat there during the summer. Am I risking a blowout if I continue to run them? They are 6 ply tires about 6-7 years old.

Here is the trailer and boat I am towing, the whole package is probaby around 5500 pounds...
DSC00152.jpg

Waffle

Seaman
Re: Stress cracks - trailer tires?

Had some tires on a trailer that looked like what you describe. Was bringing the boat from North Carolina to Indiana and had a blowout and delamination within 20 miles from leaving to come back here. All of the tires were replaced before continuing. 300 bucks is cheap for peace of mind.

The guys at the tire shop said they see this all the time and recommend tire covers for protection from the sun.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You should be replacing your tires at the 5 or 6 year mark...cracks or not.

What is the date code on your tire?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Replace them especially if you can see down to the cording thru the cracks.
Are the same cracks on both sides of the tire? If only on the outside, then cracks are from the sun and weather.

I had some with cracks and as I would inflate them to proper psi, the cracks would get bigger and bigger.
Which is unsettling when your needing to put in 60psi or more.

Manipulator

I guess I best be looking for a new set, thanks for all your replies. The boat is at the lake so I don't have access to those date codes at the moment. I will take a look. I don't see cracks to the cord. They were rather under inflated when I got the boat, could also be a source of the cracks I guess.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

If the trailer only gets used to launch and retrieve the boat once a year, have you thought about putting the trailer on stands when not in use, and putting the wheels and tires in the garage? That would keep the weather aspect out of it.

Manipulator

I just started keeping it under cover, I was planning on doing that when in storage, leaving the wheels on but supporting the trailer to take the weight off. The thing is, during the summer I typically keep the boat on the trailer as I have no lift. what about a tire conditioner of some kind? Armour all?

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

They're not stress cracks. It's weather checking. It's caused by a combination of infrequent use (500mi/yr) and UV exposure. Nothing will cure it. When tires are used regularly, the natural oil-like compounds that are in them redistribute and keep the tire in good shape. When they are not, they dry out and check. It has nothing to do with leaving the weight on them. Keeping them out of the sun (covering them) is the best you can do (the new ones you'll be buying, that is)...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Go to an RV store and buy tire covers like those RV owners use.. Cover the tires to keep the sun off them. If you have significant other that sews, (even a guy can do that) buy some canvas or vinyl and make them yourself.

Nova II 260

Get new tires TODAY! SeaRay's look terrible with road rash.....

Manipulator

I think they'll get me home but you're right, it time for new tires. Any ideas on where I can pick up a economical set? i believe mine are class C or 6 ply and size 205/14. Wal-Mart or SAMS?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You are looking for tires designated "ST" (special trailer). Do not put car tires on that trailer. SAMS and WalMart may or may not have them but can probably order them for you.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If in doubt always replace. Keep them off the ground when storing and cover them up when parked.

Spend the extra money, get some good tires. I had cracked sidewalls on my Chaparral tires (an off-brand tire), the off-brand tires don't last as long. I had a blowout and replaced all four with Goodyear Marathon trailer tires, $85 bucks each but worth the extra money.

wncrjb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I feel $300.00 for new tires is great insurance and piece of mind.
if you blow a tire it will do more than $300.00 worth of damage to the boat and then you still have to buy new tires after you fix the boat. just my $.02

wncrjb

Gevans17

Cadet

6-7 years old, regardless of tread depth, are worn out......dry rot

cbear34

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As previous posters have said. It's best to replace the tires. The cracks are from the sun, dry rot. The new tires keep them covered from the damaging uv rays of the sun.
Armor all will help retain the moisture of the rubber. I armor all all of my vehicle tires and have never had a dry rot problem.

Dunaruna

Admiral

They're not stress cracks. It's weather checking. It's caused by a combination of infrequent use (500mi/yr) and UV exposure. Nothing will cure it. When tires are used regularly, the natural oil-like compounds that are in them redistribute and keep the tire in good shape. When they are not, they dry out and check. It has nothing to do with leaving the weight on them. Keeping them out of the sun (covering them) is the best you can do (the new ones you'll be buying, that is)...

^^^What he said ^^^

It's called ozone degradation.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

As previous posters have said. It's best to replace the tires. The cracks are from the sun, dry rot. The new tires keep them covered from the damaging uv rays of the sun.
Armor all will help retain the moisture of the rubber. I armor all all of my vehicle tires and have never had a dry rot problem.

Armor all is basically a waste of time and money in trying to prevent the tires from aging. They make them look a little prettier but that is about it. They are rotting on the inside as much as they are on the outside.