Street VS Marine Engine HELP

What is the difference between a street engine and a marine??? looking at a project for low cash but need an engine change, boat has a 350 and comes with a 327

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Street VS Marine Engine HELP

go to the i/o forum and search ...

there is tons there bud. this is a huge discussion,

read up.....
cheers
oops

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is a lot of talk about that, but to give a quick answer that is just basic. I called Mercury to ask a question about my MerCruiser 165, and while the lady was looking up the information for me I asked her what the difference was between a GM 350 street motor and a GM 350 marine motor. She told me that the cylinder walls are thicker, and the block in whole is a little bit thicker. She also told me some other differences between the two, but that is the main difference right there since a marine motor will be under a lot more stress doing 20 MPH in the water than a car will be doing the same speed on the road.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the other main reasons (besides the cam and timing) are, anything that can cause a spark is "marinized" or protected from allowing a possible iginition source.

your motor is in an enclosed area....so if gas vapor is in your bilge due to whatever reason.....and you hit the key..........you go BOOM with an auto engine.

basspirate

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if it were a 350 out of a truck you could probably use it because the cam is set for high torque. if it were out of a car the cam may be set for low fuel comsumption. also the freeze out plugs are brass not steel and the oil pan i believe is aluminum or stainless.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

if it were a 350 out of a truck you could probably use it .

no you cannot......it needs to be marinized first.

however a 4bolt mains 350 chev is a good block to start with

(having said that....i took my 350 out of my cube van and used it......HOWEVER....the motor was specially built and i checked with the people who built it if it had the proper cam. and i spent many hours changing every part from auto to marine, marnizing the motor) it was also very expencive because all the nessary parts like brackets and things were not there

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

has alot to do with the build up of the bottom end sealed wiring, as well as made from different metals, if you are able to find a V8 engine that was used by the military, or get military grade components they will work, as most of our vehicles are float-able.