Stratos Aerator wiring issue.

basspro1886

Seaman Apprentice
I am currently working on a rewire of my Stratos 176, and I have come across an issue. I am going to install a new timer. It has 5 wires and no instructions on what wire colors are for what. Does anyone have any ideas on how this is supposed to be wired?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Stratos Aerator wiring issue.

well since you didn't mention the brand or model of the timer or the colors of the wires all we can do is guess BUT here is my guess:
red B+
black B-
green out to pump
the other two... maybe yellow..... optional rheostat for variable off time between cycles, otherwise spliced together
again, though, that was a GUESS

basspro1886

Seaman Apprentice

well since you didn't mention the brand or model of the timer or the colors of the wires all we can do is guess BUT here is my guess:
red B+
black B-
green out to pump
the other two... maybe yellow..... optional rheostat for variable off time between cycles, otherwise spliced together
again, though, that was a GUESS

Yea sorry about that. Yes there is Red, Black, Green, and 2 yellow wires. I will try that this weekend. Thank you very much.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here ya go -- this is one configuration but you need to sort out the colors. In this configuration the switch placed in one position allows the constant run. Center is OFF and the other position allows timer control of ON-OFF cycles. If there is a TIMER adjustment pot on the console then the yellow wires apparently are for that.

TimerWiring.jpg

basspro1886

Seaman Apprentice

I know there is one green wire which I am assuming will go to the auto side of the switch. Since my switch is ON-OFF-AUTO. I was told by a boat tech that I need to just loop both yellow wires together. But this helps out alot. Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I'm not so sure about that. This timer has five wires and all five are required to provide manual and automatic operation. In this configureation, connecting the two wires and not having either one going to the switch would mean the pump cannot run. If you did tie the two together and connect to the manual side of the switch the pump would run constantly. If connnected to the AUTO side it would still run constantly because one of those wires is the "bypass" or "manual" mode which sends current around the timer circuit directly to the motor. I don't see how connecting the two together can provide both manual and automatic operation.

marlinpruett

Cadet

I sent you a PM with my email return it and I will send you a wiring diagram for your timer module.
And yes in almost all cases the two yellow wires are tied together.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I sent you a PM with my email return it and I will send you a wiring diagram for your timer module.
And yes in almost all cases the two yellow wires are tied together.

Why not post the diagram so we can all see it. I'd like to determine how this unit can work with no switch connection.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't see how anyone can say how it should be wired without knowing what kind of timer it is? If you don't know what kind of timer it is, then no one knows for sure what the wire colors mean. Other than an educated guess, and a "Well that's how it is on mine".

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I'm giving up. By the way, the diagram I showed is a four wire unit with a built in adjustable timer delay so it doesn't apply here anyway.

basspro1886

Seaman Apprentice

Got the new timer in, and wired it up. Tested it and it works awesome. Not just have to wait for the weather to warm up and get on the water. Thanks everyone.